News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My first insult  (Read 26208 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
My first insult
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
I was at the paint shop the other day matching up some weatherstripping and a regular came in to buy paint.  He was doing some work at the counter and must have overheard our intense conversation about cross sections and what not.  He says "What re you fixing up, an old Blazer?", to which I reply "Nah, an AMC Eagle."  He says "Oh. They stopped making those for a reason."  No one laughed or really payed any attention to him after that.

Not much of a story, but this is the place to tell it!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: My first insult
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »
Yeah. They stopped making Olds and Pontiac too! Wonder if he feels the same about them? I believe I would have told him to kiss off! My tolerence for those kind of people is rather short!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
Several of my friends say that same thing. They just don't understand. All they know about AMC are the few bad characteristics they have had. No one seems to want to acknowledge the fact that pretty much the same 258 engine was used in the Cherokee up until 2000.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
I can't wait to see today's cars matching our Eagle's 165k miles and 28 years with the same grace that our Eagle has.

I used to own an International pickup. The smart-aleck at the counter of what was then the friendly local house of parts derided the pickup as "Inter-trash-onal". When I sold the pickup it had 200k miles on its original engine and was being driven daily.

I don't know what became of the pickup, but the parts house is out of business. Would one suppose this attitude is why the parts house is out of business ???
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
Man, I never hear comments like that. I'm kind of hoping for one, so I can put them on the spot and make them feel like a moron.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:17:23 AM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »
I get this comment a lot.  I honestly catch quite a bit of crap for the AMC... go figure
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:04 AM »
I can't wait to see today's cars matching our Eagle's 165k miles and 28 years with the same grace that our Eagle has.

I used to own an International pickup. The smart-aleck at the counter of what was then the friendly local house of parts derided the pickup as "Inter-trash-onal". When I sold the pickup it had 200k miles on its original engine and was being driven daily.

I don't know what became of the pickup, but the parts house is out of business. Would one suppose this attitude is why the parts house is out of business ???
I call them Intersmashables and more, but I still have 2 1/2 of them! ;)
I'm driving one to the scrapyard soon (I'm hoping I get an Aircast for my upper arm tomorrow so I can get back to getting things DONE! The one on my forearm made life MUCH better! Wish I'd found it earlier today!)
   The '71 Loadstar 1800 would make a great Eagle hauler (18' tilt deck could handle 2 SX4s and a hitch could haul a big trailer too!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
I get that too from time to time and it always gets under my skin....I had a kid say basically the same to me at a parts store....you can only imagine how funny it was when I saw him pedaling to work one morning on a cheesy 10 speed. The next time I stopped in I made a point to compliment him on his sweet ride and how my 12 year old niece has one just like it.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
I had one parts guy say something negative when I said I needed something for the eagle. I politely aske him why the distaste, he really didn't know what to say, so he just blabbered "they're a pain to find stuff for".  I politely said to the lad, "well, maybe if you knew how to do your job properly, you wouldn't have such a hard time." He didn't like that very much  :rotfl: . I then proceeded to show him how to find what I wanted, and actually showed a little gratitude for doing so.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
I had one parts guy say something negative when I said I needed something for the eagle. I politely aske him why the distaste, he really didn't know what to say, so he just blabbered "they're a pain to find stuff for".  I politely said to the lad, "well, maybe if you knew how to do your job properly, you wouldn't have such a hard time." He didn't like that very much  :rotfl: . I then proceeded to show him how to find what I wanted, and actually showed a little gratitude for doing so.

Always with the parts guy hate ;)
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »
Chev Dealer

When I drove a 89 Buick La Sable not problem with the boy's out back to help keep it on the road.
 Replaced it with my 82 Eagle and just got ridiculed and no tech would help on the few occasions I could use some.

The funny/sad part they where dropping engines, transmissions and rear ends frequently on a few year old GMC cars still probably not paid for.

dkoug :amc:

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
The common comment I get is "There is still an AMC Eagle on the road?"
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
The common comment I get is "There is still an AMC Eagle on the road?"

One of my favorites for me is "you have an AMC Eagle?" then I reply "I have two"
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:31:38 AM »
the one i hear the most is "what kind of car is that?" and when i tell them it's an AMC Eagle i get "never heard of it, what company made it?" then when i tell them American Motors Company i get "who?" and then those that do know what it is either say how much they miss the one that they used to have or one a family member used to have or i get the "why would you want to own one of those?" to which i reply "because it's a cool car" which usually gets a confused look.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
...He says "What re you fixing up, an old Blazer?", to which I reply "Nah, an AMC Eagle."  He says "Oh. They stopped making those for a reason."...

Shame you didn't think to remind him that the Chevrolet Blazer is not longer in production either. ::)

I'd like to ask him how many vehicle models have been in production since the dawn of the automobile.  I can think of zero.  All models have their production run, some just longer then others.
I am what Willis was talking about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk