News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 03:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel sender Replacement  (Read 6337 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Fuel sender Replacement
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2023, 10:36:02 PM »
Heat did it. I put it in a micro-vice with smooth clamps and applied heat. Reshaped itself back to nearly straight.
Bakelite and phenolic composites shouldn't do that. At least, not at temperatures this low. Don't like that at all.

What kind of silicone specifically did you use? I typically don't stock materials that are long-term resistant to fuel vapor or immersion because it's normally quite expensive.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2023, 11:31:52 PM »
I used a red RTV. It is fuel resistant May fill the gap the length of the board. May prevent it from warping again.  Be sure to let it cure completely before exposing it to fuel again. May also rework the tabs a little on the board to allow for expansion at the slots.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:36:58 PM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2023, 10:01:42 PM »
Permatex RTV Red is NOT rated for partial or total immersion in petroleum. This is outlined on the tube and the back of the packaging.
Instead I will be using "Seal-All" which states on the packaging it is resistant to alcohol, paint thinner, most solvents and gasoline once fully cured.

My solution for a backing support is a piece of phenolic bar, sanded down to just slide underneath and clear the rivet and the tabs on the ends of the wafer were filed to allow more room for expansion.
Also while you mentioned you already altered yours as well, APD did get back to me and offered an out-of-warranty replacement if I paid shipping both ways. If people are seeing repeated failures like this they want to know and so does the manufacturer. Unfortunately I already started tweaking with mine before I got the reply and I need to be back on the road Wednesday, so we'll see how long my fix holds out and if it fails, I'll have to order another sender.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 12:03:41 AM »
Looks like a good fix. Hopefully APD works with the vendor to resolve this issue for future customers.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk