News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 07:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Runs and dies  (Read 8246 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Runs and dies
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Still working on my Eagle trying to get it to where I can drive it to work. :banghead: Currently I can get it started but it will only run for a while and then dies. Does not seem to matter if in the driveway or road or even at what RPM will just strait die.. First going to look at fuel pump and new hoses but it just occurred to me that the Gas tank may have something there that is getting sucked into the pick up? I'm not really wanting to drop the tank..
Currently looking at a fuel pump a second inline fuel filter and new hoses.. :help:

Always appreciate the input I get Thanks all
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Runs and dies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
Fuel tank is not so horrible. i have done it a few times on my babys. its easy. also otvyou snapva boltbi have used threaded rod to replace the hanger bolt.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
Might want to check and make sure your fuel tank is venting. Just to make a check remove the gas cap and let it run for awhile in the driveway. If it does continue to run put the cap back on and see if it dies then. If so you know you have a venting problem. Could be either the gas cap itself or the tank vent line.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
Might want to check and make sure your fuel tank is venting. Just to make a check remove the gas cap and let it run for awhile in the driveway. If it does continue to run put the cap back on and see if it dies then. If so you know you have a venting problem. Could be either the gas cap itself or the tank vent line.
Pretty sure it vents The cap is old and doesn't seal..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
The tank isn't too bad, I believe something really common has hangers that work, but a hobby tool or air tool wire wheel on the threads will probably save your bacon.

I made a tank pump not long ago, I got an inexpensive electric fuel pump and some vinyl tubing. I hooked it up to a long cable with a lighter plug on the end and use a portable jump starer to power it, in a well-ventilated space of course. Getting as much gas out of the tank as possible makes a difference in weight.

On the possibility of trouble-shooting; does it start up again right away after dying?

NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
The tank isn't too bad, I believe something really common has hangers that work, but a hobby tool or air tool wire wheel on the threads will probably save your bacon.

I made a tank pump not long ago, I got an inexpensive electric fuel pump and some vinyl tubing. I hooked it up to a long cable with a lighter plug on the end and use a portable jump starer to power it, in a well-ventilated space of course. Getting as much gas out of the tank as possible makes a difference in weight.

On the possibility of trouble-shooting; does it start up again right away after dying?

Does seem to start again after a bit of pumping.. Hence the reason I was looking at a pump or something randomly blocking the pick up.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »
Think I would pull the pick up out of the tank and check the pick up sock. Probably covered with rust dirt and all kinds of crap. I cleaned mine with B-12 chemtool and reinstalled it. Some just leave off but mine cleaned up great so I put it back on and then install a new fuel filter. Believe I would do this before investing in a new fuel pump that it may not need.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

AMC lifer

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
Think I would pull the pick up out of the tank and check the pick up sock. Probably covered with rust dirt and all kinds of crap. I cleaned mine with B-12 chemtool and reinstalled it. Some just leave off but mine cleaned up great so I put it back on and then install a new fuel filter. Believe I would do this before investing in a new fuel pump that it may not need.

Going through all of this work begs the question, Does your gas gauge work?  The likely culprit of this is an old fuel sending unit. As long as the tank is off, if the unit does not work, replace this as well. I hear tell there is an aftermarket one available. You just have to look for it.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »

Going through all of this work begs the question, Does your gas gauge work?  The likely culprit of this is an old fuel sending unit. As long as the tank is off, if the unit does not work, replace this as well. I hear tell there is an aftermarket one available. You just have to look for it.
Appreciate it both of you.. I'm thinking that is the coarse of action I'll take. Gauge reads 1/4 tank or over but I can hear the gas slosh around and it sounds like I only have the 2 gallons I put in. Had a suggestion if I drop the tank to also clean the body under there and re coat it for rust protection. If the sock is shot I'll go the route of getting a few inline filters ahead of the pump..
Anyone around KC want to help drop a tank and replace Leaf springs? figure if I'm dropping the tank I can put on the leaf springs I have. :occasion14:
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
Fuel socks in the tank turn to mush in areas where there is MTBE fuel additive. It could also be the ignition module headed south.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
What could you use to replace the sock? is it a fiber type sock that I could use maybe a fiberglass fabric on?
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
Yes, sounds like a dying ignition module or a dying coil. Both pieces are cheap, and there is a good argument for having a spare ignition module in the trunk, so it won't be money wasted if it's not the problem.

Is the dying related in any way to temperature or how recently it's been run?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
Yes, sounds like a dying ignition module or a dying coil. Both pieces are cheap, and there is a good argument for having a spare ignition module in the trunk, so it won't be money wasted if it's not the problem.

Is the dying related in any way to temperature or how recently it's been run?

I will say it seemed at first that if I let it sit it will run for a bit longer than if I try and start after it dies.. the coil is not the canister style so I have no idea how old they are. Looks life it has the Ford cap on distributor.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
What could you use to replace the sock? is it a fiber type sock that I could use maybe a fiberglass fabric on?

www.BJsoffroad.com sells new socks (same as '80ish FSJs) but I take them off and add a filter right before my fuel pump.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
I'm with carnuck
Working on an old Gremlin, pulled the tank removed the sock thing that was full of crud, added an inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump in addition to the regular filter, a LOT easier to get to if it needs replaced!

Rob c
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk