News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MC2150 vs Carter.  (Read 5297 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
MC2150 vs Carter.
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
When I got Bess she had the carter BBD of course, but it came with a MC2150 conversion that was intended for/used on a CJ.  Based on the adapter I think it's one of Gronks for a CJ, anyway, the guy I got it from said it wouldn't pass inspection, Safety or Emissions, and further that it had barely passed the sniffer at Idle and failed at the upper RPM.  Well after a carb change, an HEI from Skipwhite(I also toyed with the TFI, but like the cleanliness of the HEI) and a few other little things including "someone" getting rid of the Pulse Air garbadge, today she PASSED BOTH Safety & Emissions VERY easily as you can see I'm no more that 20% of allowable HC at high revs & significantly for everything else.  So she is now legal with real plates & all.

I realize that portion may not really fit under Fuel Systems, but the fact that it's mainly the Carb should...

Offline rick1590

• Eagle'd Again!
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • My 1st Eagle 1981...picture from 1990
Re: MC2150 vs Carter.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
Congratulations! :occasion14:
Old one...1984 1986 Limited(present one)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
Interested in this as I'm a bit worried about emissions testing here in CO. I've ripped out the two pulse air tubes, all of the cans, anything emissions related. Running a MC2100 or 2150,  GM-style HEI, no computer, stock 258 intake and 4.0 exhaust header, provided I get myself a new cat when I do my exhaust, is there any prayer of this setup passing? Might have to resort to bribery  ::)

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Interested in this as I'm a bit worried about emissions testing here in CO. I've ripped out the two pulse air tubes, all of the cans, anything emissions related. Running a MC2100 or 2150,  GM-style HEI, no computer, stock 258 intake and 4.0 exhaust header, provided I get myself a new cat when I do my exhaust, is there any prayer of this setup passing? Might have to resort to bribery  ::)
what header are you using?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »

When I took my eagle through emissions here in CO, I could see them checking for the emissions components.  The only thing I remember being explicitly stated as checked for on the form was the EGR valve and cat, so I'm not sure as to what extent they checked everything.

I did have a MC2150 and an open element filter on when I passed, so that they don't care about, its more just the EGR and the cat.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
Doc, congrats on passing the sniff test!

When I took my eagle through emissions here in CO, I could see them checking for the emissions components.  The only thing I remember being explicitly stated as checked for on the form was the EGR valve and cat, so I'm not sure as to what extent they checked everything.

I did have a MC2150 and an open element filter on when I passed, so that they don't care about, its more just the EGR and the cat.

Draekon, thats good to know about the CO inspection.  I've gone through the emissions test before, with everything intact, and have seen them do the visual inspection, but my impression was that they really didn't know what they were looking for.  I should be grandfathered in under the latest laws and should never need another emission test as long as I own the car but still good to know what I might run into if I get another Eagle.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:45:38 AM »
Around here at least, the air pump or in my case the pulse air gets flagged as N/A,  if the EGR is visually there that's usually good enough, what they can't easilly let slide is the tailpipe sniff as they have to punch it in the computer which is internet connected... the only way to fake that would be to sniff a newer known good vehicle & pretend that it was the older car.  That has been & I'm sure still is done, though the state is cracking down on letting something slide by, I've heard of $10K fines.  I was told years ago that in utah there is a grandfather'd clause that has something to do with air pumps "previously removed" I get the feeling that it applies to those that were removed before they enacted the inspection law in the 4 counties that require inspections and since the inspector has no way of knowing WHEN it was removed it is ALWAYS "previously removed" 

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »
 :occasion14: gratz for passing the utah IM test that i dreaded for YEARS.
I heard recently that the guy that I used to go to in salt lake (let alot of stuff on the safety and visual side pass as long as it hit it's numbers on the treadmill) got busted hard cause a gentileman got pulled over from the UHP and squeeled about the guy to the policeman and got the fellow that helped alot of us "modified" car owners in a heap load of trouble.
On a side note, I found it pretty sad that my 10 days in utah earlier this month I didn't see one eagle on the road
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »
Yeah, there's not a lot of them, there's the two I have, one reg'd & the other temp'd theres the LS1 for now, there was a SX/4 up in Midway(on it's way to SC), and there's one that a guy named Frank has somewhere up in the Heber area, that's about all I know of...  On the inspections I don't really have an issue getting one to pass Safety, and I can make it pass the emissions portion, but the visual, well some of those parts have been proven to have been bad ideas based o false logic back in the day when they were dreamed up, AND they have been unobtainable for 20-30 years.  If it passes the sniffer, why should it matter???

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
Yeah, there's not a lot of them, there's the two I have, one reg'd & the other temp'd theres the LS1 for now, there was a SX/4 up in Midway(on it's way to SC), and there's one that a guy named Frank has somewhere up in the Heber area, that's about all I know of...  On the inspections I don't really have an issue getting one to pass Safety, and I can make it pass the emissions portion, but the visual, well some of those parts have been proven to have been bad ideas based o false logic back in the day when they were dreamed up, AND they have been unobtainable for 20-30 years.  If it passes the sniffer, why should it matter???

that's what my thought always was.  I thought it was funny that when i moved from utah I was driving a 1984 chevy blazer that was pretty rotten but always passed the sniffer.  Once we moved and i decided to finally transfer the resistration to Pennsylvania i found out that Things are very different around here and there is nothing more than a gas cap emissions test, but body rot will fail a car.   
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
Around here at least, the air pump or in my case the pulse air gets flagged as N/A,  if the EGR is visually there that's usually good enough, what they can't easilly let slide is the tailpipe sniff as they have to punch it in the computer which is internet connected... the only way to fake that would be to sniff a newer known good vehicle & pretend that it was the older car.  That has been & I'm sure still is done, though the state is cracking down on letting something slide by, I've heard of $10K fines.  I was told years ago that in utah there is a grandfather'd clause that has something to do with air pumps "previously removed" I get the feeling that it applies to those that were removed before they enacted the inspection law in the 4 counties that require inspections and since the inspector has no way of knowing WHEN it was removed it is ALWAYS "previously removed" 

Last time I got a high flow cat from Random Technologies it came with a sticker (CARB certified) that removal of the AIR pump and extra stuff was needed to avoid damage to the cat. Don't know if it's still available.
   I saw a cat someone ran the AIR pump on after a year (it failed Etest here in WA so we opened it up to see why) The extra air pumped in caused the cat to burn a hole right through the center, like with a blow torch!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
Last time I got a high flow cat from Random Technologies it came with a sticker (CARB certified) that removal of the AIR pump and extra stuff was needed to avoid damage to the cat. Don't know if it's still available.
   I saw a cat someone ran the AIR pump on after a year (it failed Etest here in WA so we opened it up to see why) The extra air pumped in caused the cat to burn a hole right through the center, like with a blow torch!

There are several kinds out there. It sounds like they were able to certify a newer type to be a usable part on older cars.

The ones designed for auxiliary air have the reaction medium split into two or more different parts to work well with older computer-carb and FI systems that can run richer; that's why they switch to the pipe in the middle of the cat after warmup. Even then a car running permanently rich due to ignition or carb problems can bun them out.

AIR injection in my mind has always been problematic. When it could be useful, during rich load conditions, it generally created a nice cherry-red exhaust manifold. When it was on during cruising it mostly served to dilute the exhaust and didn't really do much to burn CO.

A cat is a much better device, and besides it's nearly impossible to control a feedback system with air injection installed.

Fun Fact: CO was the main gas created by coal gasification preferred because the naked flame burned with a bright yellow light. CO is also a major byproduct of wood gasification and wood gas generators were popular on cars during WWII when Gasoline was in short supply. (That was on Car Talk a few weeks back.)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
The problem with carbon monoxide is very few plants can convert it to CO2 and no living beings can live in an atmosphere over 3% long term.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk