News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: converting a A.C. Alt over to a non A.C. alt  (Read 3046 times)

Offline 2xEaglewagons

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
converting a A.C. Alt over to a non A.C. alt
« on: February 11, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
Hello
Would like to remove the A.C. from car.
Compressor is heavy,bearing is going bad,and multiple belts/idler pulleys wake up my neighbors early A.M.
I have never used the A.C.,,it was -14 Celsius the other day in Canada!
May also add 5 H.P. to car with 2 belts instead of 3.
I just wanna make sure I am not missing anything.
From what i see we need a dual belt water pump pulley(A.C. is single).
And brackets and brace to relocate Alt up higher.
Thanks for any hints or help!!
Randy H.
Mission B.C. Can.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:57:51 PM by 2xEaglewagons »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: converting a A.C. Alt over to a non A.C. alt
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »
hi, yes the non AC cars had different alternator bracket. Kind of hard to find, since most Eagles (here anyway) were sold with AC. Up there, they still may be some in salvage yards. An option is to just replace the AC clutch and leave it alone, as there is really no HP loss if the AC is not used. Another option is to look for the 1984+ compressor, smaller, lighter and less HP loss, and bolts right up to the existing bracket and uses same belt. It's a Sanden 508. Even a used one will work as long as the clutch bearing is good. Came on Jeeps as well. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: converting a A.C. Alt over to a non A.C. alt
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Well another option is to put another alternator there i did that to use the car to have a portable welder. The 12 volt unregulated altenator is quite powerful. The amps stay whatever alt you put in but the volts unregulated goes way up with rpm. It makes a stick welder scream. They say you cannot weld on your own car however. Just somthing i have done. I had to still fab up a bracket so idk.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk