News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1980 2 Door Sedan - What have I gotten myself into ??!!  (Read 25460 times)

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 1980 2 Door Sedan - What have I gotten myself into ??!!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »
It's been all quiet on the sedan resto front. I got the rear end back in, lifted, poly bushings but I was still having issues getting some body welding together.

I don't know how this happened but another 1980 2dr sedan shows up in GREAT shape!! No rust (some on the rear well) but nothing like my other proj had in the back. I'll post a bunch of new pics but I have a question regarding Vinyl Repair. The roof is 'starting' to deteriorate and I'd like to hear anyones experience with extending it's life with some spot repair. There are a slew of products out there and I'd like to exploit everyone else's trial and error.  :occasion14:

Here's an example blemish.

what say thee?

Also did the '80 sedan come stock with power window/locks? My other is all manual.

Cheers!!
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »
They were optional but available in 1980.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »
You're saying there is absolutely no rust anywhere under the vinyl anywhere?  Not anything around the opera windows?

You might wanna double check that, cause those are soo prone to getting rot under the vinyl around those windows, it's almost guaranteed to have some rust/rot.  

I'd do that before I'd do any kind of vinyl repair.   I'm guessing you really want to keep the vinyl look?

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
I have an 81 concord with whats left of a vinyl roof. It started to look like your picture in a few places about 3 years ago and now almost the whole thing has crumbled apart.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Naw, there's some rust peeking under the opera windows on one side, looks very minor on the other. Just looking to extend the life a little bit on the top. At some point I'll pull it off but having done this on the 'rust bucket' It's an arduous task.

So no miracle smear on resto products? :)
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 01:06:48 AM »
They do make vinyl top repair...you can get it at alot of auto stores. They work to a degree...I used it on an old cadillac I had...They look ok but if ya look close you definatly know its there.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
Okay it's been a while. Here's a little of what I've been up to on the Raven (see how that wears, hehe.. Seeing as it's be matte black when I'm done).

Ripped the dash apart and found that several pins on the dash side of the plug had busted off (same with the parts car) Okay that clears up some of the missing dash light issues. hehe.. I soldered the pins back and due to the delicate nature of the solder I fabbed an alternate plug option: In case anyone has this issue and can't find the OEM plugs which will fit the plug channels. (mine were buggered and corroded)

Those reducers aren't cheap but they fit perfect and are very neat. Shrink tube fits overtop, flush to the end to protect any metal on metal contact from adjacent plugs.

Oh yea.. Motor in 'non rusty' car was bagged and had very bad blowby. Swapped with the rust bucket which ran fairly nice.

Out comes the Old

In with the New (ish)

Some crazy dude

Uhhhhhh...

Action Shot: All In both Eagles.

It turns out that the donor motor was already switched out. The vertical mount for the front dif which mounts to the block on the stock motor was fabbed with a piece of angle iron with the bracket mounted to it.. I thought I shot a couple pics but I'll get them up soon. Sorta Sketchy actually....

1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
Makin good progress dude!....your light years ahead of where im at on my project. Time has not been on my side this summer.

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
ynwa, is that a build in mechanic or one of dose gremlins that keep playing with our AMC Eagles?
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Hehe, Gremlin for sure. Never really knows what to do next. Been sidetracked with a shed build but intend to be right back on this. Forgot to mark the flywheel to the TC so that was a fun exercise. The 4 bolts only line up once (if that makes sense). Anyway, hope to have more progress shots soon!
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
Trying to restore my project post.
Finally dusted off the Sedan, cleaning the engine deck and saw this:

Will she blow up if I try to build like this? I'm thinking yes, and that's a very demoralizing outcome...

Appreciate all replies (if this gets seen).
Thanks.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 11:35:38 PM »
Thanks for kick starting the thread back up.  I don't know enough to give you a good answer, but I'll reply anyway.  I would think the deck would need to be ground enough to get rid of that big channel.  Whether taking that much material off causes other problems would be the question.  Or maybe its possible to fill it, and then grind it smooth???
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
No need to grind. It would have to be the same end to end or it will act like a warped block. As I said on the evolution board, you can fill those grooves with shellac right before you put the head on (I even slathered the top of my Rambler flathead block because it was warped and I didn't have $$ to fix it. Drove it 5 years that way)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk