News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 02:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear end LOCK UP  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Eddie Stakes

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Rear end LOCK UP
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »
From bad to worse catagory: took my 82 Eagle wagon to go get state inspection sticker, get there & horn won't work, worked fine before left house as checked everything. So pulled next door to O'Reillys, popped hood, wiggled horn relay near solenoid, horn works. Took car back next door to Sticker Shop. Left with kids walked down gesser to Taqueria Cancun, ate, walked back, cars didn't have new inspection decal so went inside, guy said, 'everything works except brake lights' so failed inspection, walked back next door to O'Reillys, bought bulbs (even though I suspect a fuse) and went back to car, hopped in, started backing out and CLUNK car locks up in place.

No forward, no reverse, rear wheels locked, and small of axle oil. The 82 Eagle has been a workhorse for me since early 1990s, and 210,000 miles on it, no issues, runs fine, but rear end is shot. The guy in shop asked if possibly it was emergency brakes sticking, I don't think so with that smell, much less with the metallic noise I heard in rear when it locked up.

4 1/2 miles from home with Noah & Jacob, so called Yellow Cab. Yellow Cab is 'system down' so they not taking any calls! So called United Cab, 'due to extreme high call volume we can't answer your call, goodbye' so 0 fer 2. Called Fiesta Cab, almost identical message as United, on hold 5 minutes, hung up and decided to walk home.

About 87 degrees, so nice, good breeze, and walked down Eddystone, Shadow something, then Westview towards Beltway 8 which was gridlocked at 5:00pm being 1/2 mile north of I-10. Stopped at Sonic boys got a slushie, I walked next door at Shell and found a $10 bill on floor and bought a Disani. Past the Wal Mart, down gulley past rabbit ditch (yes, wild rabbits) down Church street.

Down Brittmoore & Jacob asked if we could take a break, so sat in front of the Iglesas Mexican church. Looked at phone it was 5:40 and I said 'wouldn't that be cool if Paige came down about now' and hadn't finished the sentence when Noah said 'there she is!' coming down Brittmoore in her 88 Eagle. so we waved, she stopped and we crawled in, I forgot how a back seat of a Eagle is next best thing to birth control (not that I need any more kids) but :water reservoir: small seat all crunched up. She dropped us at house, and took off to icehouse at end of street as steak night so she could get a steak and a few beers.

I got in the 82 Eagle and drove back up with kids, this time with tools, and attacked the 82 Eagle from under, but first seeing if I could push or pull it with the Concord, nothing that rear end is locked solid. So crawled under it and dropped driveshaft, still would not move, so wired up driveshaft to exhaust pipe so wrecker could drag it home, of which it's 10:00pm now and it is being loaded into the driveway. I called over 30 wreckers and all were busy, out of business or phone don't work, prices for a 4 mile tow $65 up to $200. For $200 I would invite Secret Service & their Columbian lady friends. Then have $170 left over.

I'll tear into this car this weekend, I will probably part it out. I don't want to spend $400 putting another rear end into it when front end is wobbly and can't go above 40mph. Engine was rebuilt at 140,000 and it is a original owner car, and have big stack of records from 1992 when I bought it, this has been the official Planet Houston AMX Swap Meet Tow Car for 20 years, and the Class III hitch has towed more than legally allowed by law. But I told kids 'when the front end or rear goes' that is it. Just didn't think it was going to go quickly, heck, just put 8 miles on it yesterday no issues. The Sticker Shop guy told me 'it died several times' when he was driving it around. Later while I was under it, the owner came out and asked if I thought it could be the brakes locked up since they do check the emergency brakes. But no, this seems to have hallmark of what happened with my 81 Eagle several years ago, just cluck & lock and shot. More later.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
Re: Rear end LOCK UP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
Low on oil is/was it? : (
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
To make a long story short............too late!  Just kidding.  Sorry for your troubles.  I hope you work things out. :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
It's a shame, especially the timing. Here's hoping it's something simple you find.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Eddie Stakes

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
I jacked this up from the differential pumpkin and wheels turn freely, opposite directions. However if you put it in gear while in air, nothing happens except you can see it trying to torque. If you set rear on ground you can't move car, even push it in nuetral simply locked. So dropped driveshaft and figured out it looks to be the gear the u-joint attaches to in the differential. When turning wheels this will not move. And is hard as heck to move by hand. So hooked up driveshaft again, and put in gear with rear back in air and it actually grabbed for a few seconds, mosr horrible metallic grinding noises you ever heard even dog started barking.

As for AMCKens comment about being low on oil, ironically it is something I have never checked in this particular car and I am rather anal about records, oil changes, tune ups and what not on my various AMC cars, but no, never checked this one and have owned it, bought from original owner somewhere in 92 or 94. Am still debating it's fate at the moment.
Eddie stakes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk