News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 01, 2024, 06:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 Brake Job  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
1983 SX/4 Brake Job
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
I am going to pick up parts to do the brakes front and back. Any suggestions or watch out fors.
Brake lines look fine. I will replace the calipers and put new fluid in. How much fluid do I need to get for the complete replacement. Thanks all.
Living in The Great Northwest
2011 SS Camaro Convertible
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
2005 Dodge Ram Diesel 1 Ton Shortbed
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport
1983 Eagle SX/4 (The Beagle)
Can you say too much is never enough

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: 1983 SX/4 Brake Job
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
Front's are easy, just the standard disc brake job.  Make sure you put the anti-rattle clips in the right place and use high temp brake grease on all the sliding pins. 

Rears, IDK.  I have never found a set of drum brakes that go easily.  Make sure you adjust your parking brake properly.  I just had mine lock up when I tried to drive it for the first time.

Fluid, well It depends how quickly and efficiently you can bleed the brakes.  I usually just get the big bottle and keep it on the shelf for when I need to top off the clutch or brakes.  It's good practice to flush things every once in a while too.

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »
Worked on the drums first, what a PIA. It has been a while since I have done drum brakes. Not that bad really just takes time. I did discover a trick to break my rear ebrake cables loose. Both where froze up and I already ordered the front cable, from ebrake pedal to the spliter for the rear cables.
I removed the cables and cleaned them up with brake cleaner. Then sprayed them down with WD40. Then I clamped the cable sheath in the vise then chucked the cable in my drill and used that to break the cable loose, both frozen up cables are working great now.
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport
1983 Eagle SX/4 (The Beagle)
Can you say too much is never enough

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
I hope you sprayed some lube on the cables too because WD40 evaporates and it washes the old lube off (thins it out) in the process.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
Silicone lubed everything.
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport