News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission sudden failure  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Cole.mcgregor

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Transmission sudden failure
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:08:17 PM »
So I just bought my dream car amc eagle last night and it drove perfectly fine until I tried manually shifting it. It was stuck in first gear in all gears. I had first gear in park, reverse, ect. Then I went to drive it again this morning and tried to manually shift into second and I now have 5 neutrals. From what I was told, everything is recently rebuilt within the last year. And like I said, it shifted perfectly and had no issues until I manual shifted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Transmission sudden failure
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »
It's scary the first time you see that. Hopefully it's just the gear selection lever/rod slipping. 

From what you wrote, it must be the automatic transmission. It's very important that you have the gear selection adjusted accurately (and not simply working), along with the "kick-down" of the throttle linkage adjusted accurately, to ensure you don't burn out the front-clutch of the transmission. The "kick-down" is actually controlling a transmission throttle valve.
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/images/b/b1/84880103.jpg

From the Technical Service Manual's (TSM) Index http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Index
You should check out the TSM 2C-12 and 2C-24, but that isn't in the collection...

Under http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Section_38,_Parking_Brake,_Manuual_and_Auto_Shifters;_Transfer_Case_Lines_and_Hoses_(both_types_of_select_shift)

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/File:84880151.jpg
see part #20

Check the sticky posts at the top of this section to see if the adjustment instructions have already been provide by someone.
Also try the Search function.

Note with both of those adjustments: sometimes their rod has wear/indents, so the adjustment clamp won't clamp exactly where you need it, as it slips into one of the divots. Then you need to sand or file the rod down just enough so the clamp can be set where you need it to be and it will stay there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:59:51 PM by Canoe »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
see part #20
(not your current observed problem, but it might be/become an issue) Watch out for too much play due to wear in part #19 (bushing). That can add some sloppiness in transmission gear selection, so you're not properly/fully in the gear selected.

Found one part for you, the throttle control rod adjustment. From
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/How_To_Section
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Throttle_Cable/Rod_Adjustment_-_4_%26_6_Cylinder_Cars
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:58:22 PM by Canoe »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 01:57:30 PM »
... It's very important that you have the gear selection adjusted accurately (and not simply working), ...

From the AMC Eagle Workshop Manual M.R.251:
F-29 Gearshift Linkage Adjustment (automatic transmission)
  • Raise the automobile.
  • Loosen the shift rod trunnion retaining setscrew.
  • Place the gearshift lever in the Park position.
  • Move the valve body manual lever to the rear of the Park detent. Be sure the lever is moved to the rear as far as possible. The park detent is the last detent to the rear.
  • Check for positive engagement of the park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate if the park lock pawl is fully engaged in the governor support.
  • Tighten the shift rod trunnion retaining setscrew.
    ~ edit
    Sometimes the rod has wear/indents, so the adjustment clamp won't clamp exactly where you need it, as it the setscrew slips into one of the divots. Then you need to sand or file the rod down just enough so the clamp can be set where you need it to be and it will stay there.
  • Move the gearshift lever to the Park and Neutral positions and check the engine starting. The engine should start in these positions only. The engine must not start in any gear positions other than Park or Neutral. If the engine Does not start or starts in R, D, 2 or 1, the adjustment is incorrect or the neutral switch is defective.
  • Lower the automobile.

Let us know how these worked out for you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:02:28 PM by Canoe »

Offline Cole.mcgregor

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
Is there any chance you know of a video I can follow? As I'm not too transmission knowledge inclined.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
No.
Good chance of finding a comparable procedure, but possibly confusing for not exactly matching the Eagle, or worse, with a difference that may lead you astray.

And as 95% of repair, adjustment and maintenance instructions are written with drawings, now's as good a time as any to learn to navigate those and match them to your vehicle.

The gear selection adjustment should be the first adjustment you make, and is an excellent first to learn. The gear selection adjustment is  extremely straightforward, and has a test within the procedure so you can check that it was done correctly. (do the "kick-down" later; but not too much later, else you may burnout the front clutch in the trans)

Look at the drawing linked to and identify the parts in question. Then look under the vehicle either with a printout or image in hand on phone, ipad, etc.. This is from the driver's side. Make sure you can identify all of the parts referenced in the procedure instructions. Ask if you're unsure. You can even take a photo and label what you think the parts are, just to be certain. Once you're certain, go to it! Report back.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:06:18 PM by Canoe »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 07:34:15 PM »
In case it's not obvious if you're doing this a la Shade-Tree mechanic without a lift, you'll be playing with the trans Park which you normally rely upon to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards or forwards (and the parking brake needs to be off too) - you need another way to secure the vehicle from rolling. In place of "Raise the vehicle", you'll need:
  • to be working on a flat secure surface
  • something(s) to chock both front wheels so neither can roll forwards or backwards, so the vehicle can't roll forwards or backwards
  • vehicle should be in two-wheel (rear-wheel) drive, so the front wheels can secure the vehicle (as in the prior step) and the rear wheels can turn with the rear drive/propeller shaft in the next step
  • jack the rear axle up and jackstand each side of the axle - you just need the wheels to be off the ground so you're able to rotate the rear drive shaft to check if the trans has them locked (note: the parking brake needs to be off to do this)
  • Now you can follow the adjustment instructions.

Anybody, have I missed anything?

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
What happens to me just a few days ago, quick shifting. As in it would go into 3rd gear by the time I hit 20-25 MPH and would not down shift. Even if I floored it.
The thin little metal plate the kick down linkage bolted to, rusted out. The looped metal rod was badly rusted but salvageable. Sanded and treated that part, painted. Should last.
I had a old server rack part, pre threaded and a heavier gauge steel than original. I cut it down to length. After a little measuring, reinstalled so that everything was set as it was before.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk