News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Wagon VS SX4  (Read 11546 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Eagle Wagon VS SX4
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:20:42 PM »
I've always been curious, what would be the reasons to pick a wagon over an SX4 and vice versa. Anyone own each, or have owned them, and can give a little input?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Eagle Wagon VS SX4
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »
A wagon is much better for traveling, as you can sleep in the back if need be.  I doubt that can be done in an SX4, or a sedan.  I have had both for hard core off-roading, and prefer the SX4.  I guess it all depends on what you use it for......Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:03 AM »
It's pretty much like any other car purchase. What's it being used for and what body style do you prefer visually. I love wagons and hatchbacks and I have owned both the SW and the SX4. I haven't had any drive time really behind the SX4, but I picked it up because I wanted that sportier look. It's gotta have the spoiler in the back though! That's what makes it cool! And if I ever get a wagon again it will have woodgrain. Another must in my book!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
The bulk of my driving is local, but I do tend to go off the beaten track. I do know that longer wheelbase is a smoother feeling ride, while shorter is easier for control.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
I've never owned a wagon, but one thing I really like about my Kammback is that it feels so nimble.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
My first "real" AMC (had a few Renaults prior to) was an 83 SX/4 Sport 258 5-speed...followed by an 84 wagon, same drivetrain.  I can say with all certainty, if you're gonna go long-distance (500+), the wagon is WAY more suited to that type of driving.  Tha SX/4 has more of a "sporty" feel to it, and is a little more handy in city driving.  If you plan on having more than one passenger, DON'T go with an SX/4!!  The rear seat is best folded down for added cargo space....no reasonably sized human is gonna fit back there.  That was the reason the guy I bought mine from sold it.  His 9 year old daughter wasn't comfortable!!  Beyond that, it kinda just runs to your personal opinions on styling etc....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
I'd have thought that the space in the rear would be the same with the extra space having been removed from the trunk.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
The rear seat in an SX/4 is only habitable for a very small child (baby up to toddler size, though I would hate to try to get a car seat in & out of the car) or a small dog. There is just no leg room what-so-ever back there.

I have had both though I haven't got to drive my sx much. Other than interior space with the wagon clearly being the winner in that category I haven't notice much of a difference (yet). But I never got to take my wagon on a long trip, though I could see that it would've been the comfier of the 2.
So like others have said it all really depends on what your uses, needs, desires and possibly future plan to be.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
I just leave my seat backs folded down in the SX/4.  Cheap 2-seater that way.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
The rear seat in an SX/4 is only habitable for a very small child (baby up to toddler size, though I would hate to try to get a car seat in & out of the car) or a small dog. There is just no leg room what-so-ever back there.
You ain't kidding either. Its got even less room then my mustang... And I thought that was bad lol.
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
The SX/4 and Kammbacks are subcompacts.  The Mustang is a Compact.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:35:15 AM »
         HI      I have had both and I prefer the wagon over the sx4 ......you can tell by the spelling sx4-----wagon  ....the wagon is longer and for this old man longer is belter .....I forgot to say BIG old man .....My first AMC was a 1967 ambassador wagon990 then 1974 hornet wagon then 1977 hornet hatchback ,75 grem ,82 sx4,82 wagon and so on and on .......You can see the pattern that 1967 ambo was so nice ....It started it all........don   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:11:43 PM by teneagle »
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
I've had many AMCs over the years (couldn't afford to own Jeeps till '97 or so) and I drove my Spirit several years before turning it into an SX4 (Needed ground clearance) and I had Eagle wagons before as well as Full Size Jeeps. I like the wagons but don't like the narrow doors. I like the room to put stuff in the wagon and passengers can get in/out without having to flip the seat forward.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
I've never owned a wagon, but one thing I really like about my Kammback is that it feels so nimble.
the one time I test drove an sx4 it had amazing steering. 
on another note, why are wagons abbreviated SW? is that just for sport wagons?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »
SW = Station Wagon.  An archaic designation.  For some reasons the SX/4 steering seems more precise.  I don't know why.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk