News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 09:24:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"  (Read 83543 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:09 AM »
Pick up an EL12 (unless EL13 is 2 prong)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
I'll take a look when I get back home. I hope it's something little like that.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
If a bulb is out, reular flashers quit. The EL12 will flash as long as the resistance is more than a single 194 bulb. I put one in my MJ because I don't have time to tear apart the grill and redo the right turn signal socket right now. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The rear always flashes this way

Also check the 4 way signal button isn't 1/2 way pushed in. Push it all the way then pull back.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:30:21 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
All four signals flash with the hazard button on. That's how I know it's not a bulb out.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
If a bulb is out, reular flashers quit. The EL12 will flash as long as the resistance is more than a single 194 bulb. I put one in my MJ because I don't have time to tear apart the grill and redo the right turn signal socket right now. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The rear always flashes this way

Also check the 4 way signal button isn't 1/2 way pushed in. Push it all the way then pull back.

it seems like the sockets used on the mj and xj were prone to failing. I eneded up replacing mine with ones off of a grand wagoneer.

I'll just reply on the fuel pump. Just because it is running all the time, doesn't mean it is not on a relay. It could be the relay is powered when the key is in the on position.  I would try to get that problem fixed. It's not a big deal when running, but if you were to get into an accident and there was damage to the fuel line the fuel pump would stay running if the engine shut off without the key, letting the fuel pump possibly feed a fire. A simple oil pressure switch would work. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-a68301?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjtGfBRCN4-LU9ODG1-wBEiQAy_Xp7_XsbJoVJlpn2H5i5VpPWtgvI1UHWpVhQPtnuQFsjWAaAle48P8HAQ

another idea that ive seen, ford used a inertia switch to shut the fuel pump off as a safety precaution, haven't messed with it myself, but maybe one of those switches could be put in line if you wanted to keep the fuel pump running for some reason. I maybe would look at a way to make it run at the flick of the switch in case the car sits a long time, or is ran out of gas and you need to pump fuel back up to the carb. then again, ive used a squeeze bottle to fill the bowl of the carb to get the engine running right away, so you could get away with out having the pump running with the key on, engine cranking or running,
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Hide the switch as an anti-theft device.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
The Dull Penny is finally coming home to Bullfrog! This weekend I picked up an Eagle in South Western Utah for a member who lives in Denver. In turn he is bringing my Eagle to me and then picking his Eagle up. I still have all the same issues with it, but I'll at least have it in my possession to start tinkering again!

I also made a bunch of videos documenting the pickup of his Eagle in St. George...which was a 6 hour drive from Bullfrog...if you are going the speed limit. There is 2 hours of 80mph speed limits and probably another hour or so of 75mph speed limits. The rest is mostly 55-65 range, but we didn't get much over 60 most of the time...at least on the way back so it was a long drive! Also an iffy drive in a $500 Eagle with squishy brakes. Will post the videos later.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
The Dull Penny is finally coming home to Bullfrog! This weekend I picked up an Eagle in South Western Utah for a member who lives in Denver. In turn he is bringing my Eagle to me and then picking his Eagle up. I still have all the same issues with it, but I'll at least have it in my possession to start tinkering again!

That's good to hear.  It seems you found the perfect "bucket brigade" to get your Eagle home.  Keep us updated on your tinkering....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
So glad to hear that Penny will be with you once again  :occasion14:. And hopefully you'll get her back on the road and get us some wonderful shots of all those gorgeous backdrops you have there in your BullFrog area (unlike my BullFrog, not much for backdrops unless you like lots of tree's lol).
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »
Here are some videos from when we went to pick up the Eagle for Brian in St. George, Utah. I have some more scenic videos I'll try to put together later.

Staying in the RV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c661mPOchfY

Picking up the Eagle in the Morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpQ6KRWlPw

Breakfast Stop after an hour drive down the road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEOrOkkLT8

And then our last stop when we were just an hour from home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir473xEUq0A

And here are some pics from Brian's journey to Bullfrog with Penny and then when she was safely off the trailer.

The Eagle in Eagle County Colorado.

Finally home!!!

Off the trailer!

Took a bunch of stuff out of the car and had to go ahead an install these. Not really any room in our small place.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:49 AM »
It's been almost a year since I've had Penny back home with me and I've done pretty much nothing with her. Yesterday I took the rear wheel off cause it's been sitting the the rim for awhile cause the tire won't hold air. Put the spare on and started looking around under the car. The front end has a lot of surface rust on the suspension parts so I've decided to go ahead and remove the whole front end and crossmember so I can take the oil pan off and look into my oil issue. While I've got it all apart I'll either sandblast and paint the front end parts or completely replace with new parts. Many of the bushings look cracked and worn so I'm just gonna go all out. I'll try to clean up and paint other suspect areas while all the stuff is out of the way. If it looks like the engine may need or too I'll remove it as well and rebuild but I know I want to replace the front end parts so I might as well start there and see what my oil pump looks like. Hopefully start in the next couple weeks. Wanna get it up on some good jack stands and start pulling parts!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
It would be nice to find that all you have is a bad oil pump.  It should be an easy job to replace it. That would be a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild! There may be more damage, but have hope that a new pump will be all that is needed.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
It would be nice to find that all you have is a bad oil pump.  It should be an easy job to replace it. That would be a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild! There may be more damage, but have hope that a new pump will be all that is needed.

Garsh...I sure hope so! With the pan off would I be able to have a peek into the cylinders from underneath to inspect wear?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

Garsh...I sure hope so! With the pan off would I be able to have a peek into the cylinders from underneath to inspect wear?

99% of cylinder wear is going to occur at the top of piston travel. In many cases it's necessary to use a ridge cutter at the top of the cylinder to allow the piston & rod to be removed. You may be able to see a scored cylinder from below, but if you do you need an overhaul. Chances are the scored cylinder will be low or non-existent on compression and will have a broken ring or other catastrophic damage. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »
I would suspect that there is crank/bearing damage, before cylinder wall damage from the bad oil pump.  Or you may have dodged a bullet if an oil pump replacement is all it takes to get rid of the noise.  By the way, if you are going to remove the crossmember, you will need to support the engine from above. The engine mounts are part of that crossmember.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk