News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 11:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stalls when put in gear  (Read 15280 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: stalls when put in gear
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 03:21:42 AM »
Thanks guys I have to check over the electronics on it before i get much further on the carb as it stumbles while idling. After reading a few other posts I've got a few other gremlins to chase around before I can get the carb properly tuned. I have been working a lot of o.t. so getting car time has proven difficult at best.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline RobWinn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:55:49 AM »
I'm not sure the value of a thread dredge on this forum but I have this exact problem.  I have gotten past it by turning the idle up too high and I don't like the way it jumps into gear and it still hesitates.  I want to get it right...  So I at first thought maybe the accelerator pump was bad so I rebuilt/cleaned the carb and reset everything.  It is a little better but not quite right. 

I guess my question is where should the pump be set?  I have it at 1/2" from the lip of the carb.  Should I raise it a bit or lower it?  I'm thinking it should be set just a bit higher.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:59:45 AM by RobWinn »
1984 Wagon 258

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »
Could be float level or a vacuum leak. What part of the country are you in? (other post says NM so I'm not close enough to check)

Check the body of the carb isn't loose by seeing if you can twist it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:30:19 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline RobWinn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have checked for leaks and when the carb was apart I set everything right.  The problem was about the same before and after rebuild though the accelerator pump was set fairly low, it looks like I wasn't the first one in there. When I reinstalled it I made sure it was tightened well and I wiggled it just to be sure.  I checked vacuum hoses for leaks and all seem fine.  I'm going to go out and raise the pimp a little I'll report back. 
1984 Wagon 258

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
Make sure the intake bolts aren't loose. If you have an automatic with lockup converter going bad, it can do that as well/ I had 2 where the lockup engaged as soon as you put it in gear and stalled like letting your foot off a clutch and it also jumps forward slightly in drive with a low idle. I got lucky on one and plugged the lockup tube in the valvebody to stop it from engaging but the other didn't work like that.

PS: Perhaps a mod could cut/move this thread?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:13:59 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline RobWinn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
I know most folks like to see the ending...  Turns out the stepper motor or computer was not functioning correctly making it impossible to tune the carb.  I did a ECM Test bypass and installed a Weber 38 DGES and all is well car runs great and thanks to God I have a nice running Eagle for under a grand.  Happy endings are always the best...
1984 Wagon 258

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk