News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jurjen's check valve  (Read 18783 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
Jurjen's check valve
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:55:10 PM »
Jurjen, can you explain a little about the check valve?  I thought the reason for having a return line was to let excess fuel return to the fuel tank rather than flooding the carb.  I can see that a check valve would prevent the carb from draining dry, but will the check valve not prevent the return line doing its job?  What becomes of the excess fuel?
Could you give us a picture of where and how you installed the valve?
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: Jurjen's check valve
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »
Hi, Jim.
I did not want to "release" this feature yet, because I have not had it in there for more than a week.
I already made the pictures.

You are right, the free flow should go from filter return  to tank.
I try to make use from another physical quality of the check valve, the so called "cracking pressure" that is the pressure that holds the ball in the seat. My hope is that it will prevent the fuel filter from draining to the tank.
The cracking pressure is normally very low, something like 1 to 3 psi.

I have tried a two-way filter (so w/o a fuel return line) before, but had so much fuel pressure (I guess the "full" 7psi) that the carb would flood after switching the engine off. I tried a new float needle but that didn't help either.

I hope the pictures are clear enough, I bought a metal 1/4" check valve ($5) and put it in the rubber hose that runs from the filter return to the metal tube that runs back to the tank.

No, it is not the yellow thing in the vacuum line....

The old man in his YBR (yellow brick road) workshop (found that on the camera, picture secretly taken by my wife)
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »
So has it been working so far? I was wondering, do you think it would work if you put the check valve on the line after the fuel filter before the carb? That way when the engine is turned off, the carb doesn't drain back to the tank through either the supply or return hose.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
That is a very good idea, but has the same problem as the two-way filter: it keeps the high pressure on the carb, so it floods.

I don't know if it works like it is now, it takes about three days to drain back and I do sometimes use the car within that period (and then it starts-up right away).

But as said before, I will keep you posted.

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
That is a very good idea, but has the same problem as the two-way filter: it keeps the high pressure on the carb, so it floods.

If it was between the carb and filter (still using the filter w/return line), wouldn't it keep the fuel from draining out of the carb, yet still allow excess pressure to go through the return line. The check valve would only function when the engine is off.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

If it was between the carb and filter (still using the filter w/return line), wouldn't it keep the fuel from draining out of the carb, yet still allow excess pressure to go through the return line. The check valve would only function when the engine is off.
seems like that would work correctly.

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:45:50 AM »
Jurjen keep us posted on any advances on this.
From looking at your pictures I would recommend changing all your rubber hoses, they are dry roted, and I can see some of them are the factory originals.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:29 AM »
Thanks Gil, I saw that some of them were cracked, so I did change a bunch of them.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
I last used the Eagle on Tuesday, today (Friday) it fired right-up. It looks like it is not draining back in three days any more.

The Pierburg company gives only two reasons for putting a non return valve in the return fuel line:

• NRV in the return line
- Used as a safety valve near the tank
in order to prevent it from draining if
a line ruptures.
- Used near the carburetor or before
the fuel vapor separator, to avoid
flooding the float chamber from the
return line if the vehicle tilts sharply.

Here is the link:
http://download.fwheel.com/KATALOG/PIERBURG/CD/catalog/BROSCHUEREN/PG/PG_Kraftstoffanlagen_en_WEB.pdf

When you study the schematics, you will find that some have a pressure regulator in the return line, or a non return valve and a flow restrictor with a 1 or 2 mm hole.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Hope this is helpful, I found this in the 1981 TSM, Page 1J-6:

"All AMC automobiles with six-cylinder engines have a fuel return system to reduce the possibility of high temperature fuel vapor problems.  The system consists of a line connecting from a nipple on the fuel filter to a nipple located on the fuel tank sending unit assembly.  The fuel filter is installed with the return nipple positioned at the top of the filter.  During normal operation, a small amount of fuel returns to the tank.  During periods of high underhood termperature, vaporized fuel is returned to the tank rather than entering the carburetor (fig. 1J-9).  Also a check valve in the fuel return system at the fuel filter hose eliminates any possibility of fuel feeding back to the carburetor through the fuel return line.

The in-line check valve has a stainless steel, spring-assisted, check ball to close the orifice (fig 1J-10).  Pressures of 0.1 to 0.6 psi (0.69 to 4.14 kPa) from the fuel filter side opens the check valve and permits normal operation of the fuel return system.

The check valve is bullet-shaped and located in the forward end of the hose/filter-to-tank tube.  If it is reversed, the fuel return system will not operate. 

AMC automobiles with four-cylinder engines do not have a fuel return system (fig. 1J-11)."
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
  The fuel filter is installed with the return nipple positioned at the top of the filter. 

I wonder if the filter is positioned any other way, it would not work properly?    This could be what is giving jim's car the problem of not starting when hot.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »
After reading (and contributing) to this thread, I will now be recovering any check valves I come across in Eagles I find in the junkyards.  There is one that just arrived this week in Denver that I am going to check out tomorrow, plus another one that has been there for a couple months that I will see if it still has a check valve.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:40:37 AM »
The in-line check valve has a stainless steel, spring-assisted, check ball to close the orifice (fig 1J-10).  Pressures of 0.1 to 0.6 psi (0.69 to 4.14 kPa) from the fuel filter side opens the check valve and permits normal operation of the fuel return system.

The check valve is bullet-shaped and located in the forward end of the hose/filter-to-tank tube.  If it is reversed, the fuel return system will not operate.

So  I put in what already should have been there.
Someone must have installed a new rubber hose at one point, and must have overlooked the check valve.

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
the only valves I have found in parts cars still have the original factory clamp on the return line on the fender. If a person is unaware that it is there, it will get thrown out with the old hose.
Rita

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
Here is the picture of the check valve from the TSM:

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
Seeing the picture, I just checked my hose.
It has a hard part towards the fender INSIDE the hose.
So this valve is pushed INSIDE the hose about 1" from the end near the fender.
I understand now why they become thrown away.
Mine must be leaky, because of the drain back I had before.
I will pry it out and make a picture.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
I visited a junk yard this morning - 2 Eagles, no check valves.  The first car is an SX-4 that just arrived this week but I think they stripped a lot out of it before it got there.  I was looking and looking for the return line and could not find it.  I finally looked at the emissions sticker and I got my answer.  This car originally had a 4 cyl engine, therefore no return line and no check valve.  It was interesting though because there seemed to be a lot more room between the engine and the firewall than in my car that originally came with the 6 cyl.

Second car is a 1980 wagon that has been there for a couple months.  The fuel return line must have been replaced at sometime during the car's life, as there was no check valve.  I'll keep hunting!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Both my Eagles have had the fuel hose replaced.  I may have thrown away check valves without realizing it.  I often keep old hoses in case of emergency.  I'll look through my junk.
Is this a common item that can be found easily?

My fuel filters are oriented properly.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »

Yes, that is where I found the one on my car, inside the hose.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
they have a very fine/weak spring inside that can be spiraled out with needle nose pliers, the steel ball can be cleaned and all put back in. One that I found had part of the spring coming out keeping the ball from closing back. I did take it apart and cleaned it up. Hopefully it works, I put it in Reitan's Eagle.
Rita

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 03:52:44 AM »
Is this a common item that can be found easily?

The AMC check valve is not a common part.
But the 1/4" check valve I put in, can be found in every car part store (or on the auction site).
It works the same way.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
And here are the pictures we have all been waiting for:

Cut the old hose open and what did I find?

A very small check valve.

So I checked it's function (blowing through it) and it was still working fine.
Put a little dish washing detergent on it and pushed it in a new 1/4" hose and installed it again.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:09:47 PM by Jurjen »

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:55 AM »
Jurjen so would this be a factory set up?
Wants You.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 02:57:26 AM »
Yes, back to 100% factory set up (for the time being).

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Has anyone tried to find out if the original type valve is available anywhere?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
The part number is in the Eaglepedia, section 13:
"J3232 144  Valve"
But I cannot find it anywhere on the www.
Maybe at your local Chrysler/Jeep dealer?

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
I tried to go to chryslerdirect to look for it but it now requires a login using a dealer name.  I have bought parts there in the past.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 06:18:57 AM »
I have tried chryslerpartsdirect, kennedyamerican, amcramblerparts and americanpartsdepot.
No luck.
You can put in a general 1/4" fuel check valve: it has the same function.

willemT

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:35 AM »
So this valve is pushed INSIDE the hose about 1" from the end near the fender.
I understand now why they become thrown away.
Mine must be leaky, because of the drain back I had before.
I will pry it out and make a picture.

Hallo Jurjen,

Een paar weken geleden heb ik een aantal verouderde vacuum en bezineslangetjes laten vervangen.
Wat kunnen de problemen zijn/worden als de check valve niet meer in het benzineslagetje zit?
Heb je enig idee waar ik een nieuwe check valve kan kopen? Mijn donoreagle staat in de stalling, mogelijk vind ik daar de reserve valve.
Mvgr Willem van Twist

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
For those who want to know, just try Google translate....

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Today I went to 4 parts stores and a large hardware store.  Most were of no help at all.   One ordered the valve but it had female ends.  I didn't want to deal with trying to find nipples.  There isn't much room anyway; valve and nipples would take up a lot of the hose.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
Hallo Jurjen,

Een paar weken geleden heb ik een aantal verouderde vacuum en bezineslangetjes laten vervangen.
Wat kunnen de problemen zijn/worden als de check valve niet meer in het benzineslagetje zit?
Heb je enig idee waar ik een nieuwe check valve kan kopen? Mijn donoreagle staat in de stalling, mogelijk vind ik daar de reserve valve.
Mvgr Willem van Twist

Translation

Hi Jurjen,

A few weeks ago, I have some old vacuum tubes and gasoline replaced.
 What problems can / will be the check valve is no longer in benzineslagetje?
 Have you any idea where I can buy a new check valve? My donor eagle is in storage, may I find the reserve valve.
 Mvgr William Twist
Wants You.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
I found the valve on ebay.  I'm waiting for an answer to my question about shipping, but I plan to buy 2 of them regardless.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 06:15:25 AM »
Translation
That is a pretty good translation! Benzineslangetje = fuel hose.

Have the original set-up again, but it is draining back to tank again. So will will put my new check valve back in.

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 06:49:33 AM »
The spring inside has weakened over time, try to take it out and pull it "a bit" to strengthen it slightly and / or the ball and / or seat has corroded, take apart and clean seat / replace ball.

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »
Jurgen I keep seeing that in-line check valve That you found in the factory fuel hose and just can't figure out what where they thinking when that set it up hidden like that.
Any chance the original check valve is design to slow down the fuel return insted of completely stopping it?
Wants You.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »
I think that it works like a cheap and dirty pressure regulator like used in EFI systems.
After switching off the hot engine it will also allow the vapours to escape to tank.
Adjustable pressure regulators are available in the 1-7 psi range, but expensive.
It will behard to get theold check valve out now, so I will leave it in and add my new valve.

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »
You can also find these check valves in 81-83 Concord/Spirit. Also note that the TSM for 81 states that 81 is the first year for these.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »
I bought a check valve on ebay Sunday, received it Wednesday, installed it in the 88 Thursday night.  Cranked it and let it run a few minutes.  I'l wait a couple of days before I start it again.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
I don't know what to think.  The first 2 times it started so quickly it startled me.  I let it sit a day and it was hard to start, back to its old ways.  The next time it started immediately.  I'll try it again tomorrow after letting it sit overnight.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »
I'm running the Motorcraft carb and an Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I no longer have the check valve and use a standard fuel filter. My car can sit a week and I'll give the accelerator pedal two pushes and it cranks up immediately. However, when warm, if I let it sit for more than a couple minutes, I have to crank it for a while before it starts. If it sits for more than a half hour it will start up like normal. 
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
I'm running the Motorcraft carb and an Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I no longer have the check valve and use a standard fuel filter. My car can sit a week and I'll give the accelerator pedal two pushes and it cranks up immediately. However, when warm, if I let it sit for more than a couple minutes, I have to crank it for a while before it starts. If it sits for more than a half hour it will start up like normal. 

This may be due to the intake being directly above the exhaust manifold.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »

This may be due to the intake being directly above the exhaust manifold.

I have often wondered that. However it doesen't happen to the other 2 DD's. Just my stroker with msd fired ignition. 21?? Somthing carb. So that to me rules it out. Also I had an 80 kee that never ever started hard.

Manitowoc WI

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
The 88 sat for 6 days and started immediately, and again after sitting all day while I was at work, and even better this morning after sitting over night.   I have to believe the check valve made the difference.  That's the only change that has been made.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk