News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: steering gear swap/gear box rebuild??  (Read 7123 times)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
steering gear swap/gear box rebuild??
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
I was searching the post for ideas on what to do with my steering and came across this by Eaglefreek.

"Just a suggestion, I installed a steering box from a Grand Cherokee(ZJ) in my 6 cylinder Eagle and a Cherokee(XJ) in my V8 Eagle. The Grand Cherokee box makes it almost feel like sports car steering but a little hard to turn in parking lots and the Cherokee box is an big improvement without the stiff steering a slow speeds. They are direct bolt ins to the Eagle. 
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/09/01/hmn_feature21.html"

I really like the feel of the old car not running off the road just because the steering wheel wiggled a bit. Would this swap make it feel like the newer cars? Tell me please if this question is clear as mud...

I was really just looking to see if anyone had rebuild their own gearbox and if so what kind of special tools might be needed.
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: steering gear swap/gear box rebuild??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
I can say a xj box does work. I either used one from an 88 most likely, or a 94 less likely. I had both of those for parts at different times.

Manitowoc WI

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
I've never driven either one of those jeeps before. Exactly how does it change the steering? I can steer my eagle with my knee pretty well going down a straight road and it won't get away from me. Would hate to ruin that...
Laura (Shorty)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
I never noticed a difference to be honest. As far as knee driving goes why couldnt you in any car. I mean take away legalities of course. Just thinking tighter ratio is probably easier to do so?

Manitowoc WI

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
if you haven't notice a difference then that's really all i was wondering. have you ever rebuilt a gear box? I'm just trying to decide whether to take the gearbox out of my parts car or jeep and rebuild them or just order one already rebuilt when its time.
Laura (Shorty)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
In my opinion, the stock Eagle steering feels too loose. Like driving a mid 70's Oldsmobile. I did the XJ box and it was a big improvement, but the used XJ box started leaking, so I installed a ZJ box and it felt even better. As in tighter. I don't drive with my knee, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference with knee driving.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
I don't mind the original steering box, and I've done a bunch of miles off road with it.  But I've got pretty large tires on it, for an Eagle, and that may change the feel I guess.  As a comparison I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ, and that thing is pretty twitchy.  With the short wheelbase any movement in the steering wheel gets you a pretty big lane change.  I can't imagine driving the Jeep with my knee at anything over 10 miles per hour.

I may have missed it, is there something wrong with your original steering box?  If you need to replace it, I'd go with the XJ based on Eaglefreek's description.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:40:24 AM »
I don't mind the original steering box, and I've done a bunch of miles off road with it.  But I've got pretty large tires on it, for an Eagle, and that may change the feel I guess.  As a comparison I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ, and that thing is pretty twitchy.  With the short wheelbase any movement in the steering wheel gets you a pretty big lane change.  I can't imagine driving the Jeep with my knee at anything over 10 miles per hour.

I may have missed it, is there something wrong with your original steering box?  If you need to replace it, I'd go with the XJ based on Eaglefreek's description.
That's what i was after! Yes, I'm starting to get a belt squeal at high rpm's that I'm suspecting is steering system related. My friend that helped me with the car tightened the gear box up enough that its fine to drive but he thought it probably needed rebuilt. I don't routinely drive with my knees but it was the best way I could describe what I was wanting. I don't want twitchy. I don't care for chasing my old 71 F250 all over the road with its loose steering but I'd rather have that than twitchy.
I have the 84 eagle parts car that still has a box I can rebuild or the Jeep grand cherokee (not sure if its gear box is compatible or not). Just thinking ahead. Not an emergency yet.
Laura (Shorty)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 02:41:52 AM »
In my opinion, the stock Eagle steering feels too loose. Like driving a mid 70's Oldsmobile. I did the XJ box and it was a big improvement, but the used XJ box started leaking, so I installed a ZJ box and it felt even better. As in tighter. I don't drive with my knee, so I'm not sure if it makes a difference with knee driving.
I don't drive routinely with my knees either..:)  just a way to compare is all.
Laura (Shorty)

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
hi, to approach this from another angle...I had a spare , worn out, steering box from an 82 Eagle.  My 77 Hornet needed a new one. I had the 82 Eagle gearbox rebuilt, and put it in the Hornet. Night and day difference. the old 77 was a 17: 1  ratio, and worn out. the 82 Eagle is 14:1 ratio, and feels MUCH better in the Hornet. All the old slop is gone. BTW, afaik, the Eagles came with either the 14:1 single ratio, or a 16/13:1 variable ratio. Also, I wouldn't rebuild a gearbox myself, unless one is a pro. I used a place called PowerSteering.com, in Nixa, Missouri, not cheap, but they do an excellent job.
A squealing belt may be just the belt, or your pump may need rebuilding, The pumps I rebuild myself, a kit is only about $15. anywhere. The only PITA in this job is removing and reinstalling the pulley, for which you need a pulley removal tool kit, cheap a Harbor Freight, or rent locally. good luck, gz
Btw, if your pump has never been apart, there is a very good chance it is full of all kinds of crud. I couldn't believe how much junk was in mine. If you don't rebuild, at least flush the system.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
long story short.. nothing wrong with the stock Eagle steering boxes, if they are in good shape. gz

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
A squealing belt may be just the belt, or your pump may need rebuilding, The pumps I rebuild myself, a kit is only about $15. anywhere. The only PITA in this job is removing and reinstalling the pulley, for which you need a pulley removal tool kit, cheap a Harbor Freight, or rent locally. good luck, gz
Btw, if your pump has never been apart, there is a very good chance it is full of all kinds of crud. I couldn't believe how much junk was in mine. If you don't rebuild, at least flush the system.
That was also what I was wondering. I'll probably not mess with the box myself then Here's the history I know. My friend that helped get this car ready to drive from Washington said that the steering was pretty sloppy and he tightened it up. Said he probably tightened it up too much. Whenever you turn much at all you get a bit of the noise like when you're getting close to the stops.
 Also if the car isn't warmed up well and you try to drive it will almost not turn the first try. Assuming that part is the pump. Do you just take off the return hose and run the car to flush it?? seems like I did it on my pickup a while back but don't remember what I did.
 Soooo, after I replaced the fan clutch the other day I noticed if I really revved the car or get up around 70 I have a hint of belt squeal. My thinking is I could have done something wrong when i put it back together (too tight, too loose, didn't replace water pump) but I pretty much know the steering needs help. Maybe if I fix what I know needs fixing anyway the problem will go away...
Laura (Shorty)

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
hi, what you are describing is called "morning sickness", and yes, that would be the pump. A pump rebuild is fairly simple, but you WILL need the pulley puller set, you CANNOT hammer the pulley off/on.  Access to a small press is also good, to replace the front bushing. good luck, gz     again, if you don't want to do this yourself, powersteering.com can do it for you, or you can just buy a new pump, still available most anywhere. good luck, gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »

When I took yours for a drive a few weeks ago to keep the battery charged, the first thing I thought was, "man this thing needs a Jeep steering gear".  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
Sounds like it won't hurt my feelings at all to just rebuild what I have. Maybe someday I'll go drive a jeep and see if I like it:)
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk