News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problem with 1980 Eagle alternator / voltage regulator  (Read 2277 times)

Offline bunnyone

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
problem with 1980 Eagle alternator / voltage regulator
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:21:59 PM »
Hi,

I've been rebuilding a 1980 Eagle station wagon as my first (!) mechanical project, so everything so far I've learned by doing and with the help of my 70 yr. old backyard mechanic buddy.

I replaced the 258 with a 1989 Jeep Cherokee engine, partially rebuilt it,  took over the Jeeps' belt system + power steering, etc.

problem:  the Eagle alternator doesn't fit with the Jeep and I'm not too keen on making a bracket. I bought a 1998 Jeep alternator, which is externally regulated, but the Eagle is obviously internally regulated.
I've tried a 1972 Chrysler regulator, but it doesn't get the voltage down and the battery jumps up to 18/19 right after I fire the engine.

whats the best solution? I've read stuff about the Motocraft regulator.. does it work properly? should I try my luck with an 'idiot-light' to get the voltage down?

thank you for your help and advice,

Luke
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:22:30 PM by bunnyone »

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk