News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quiet cheap muffler?  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Quiet cheap muffler?
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
I'm on the hunt for a quiet cheap muffler. Inlet and outlet 2.25", but I want to keep the approximage length of the Eagles stock muffler.

I've been looking at the Walker SoundFX  series but I'm not sure how one would sound on my car. Currently have a Thrush Turbo...makes a tonne of noise and I'm learning to hate it really fast.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: Quiet cheap muffler?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »
I bought a universal muffler that fits the pipes off evilbay. It beats the 'Asian' crackling stupid 'muffler' that was on mine. UFF!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
I used the Dynomax superturbo muffler because of an article I read that tested 10 or so mufflers for performance and noise.  The Dynomax superturbo was the second best for performance and also the quietest muffler.  On my Eagle it is stock level quiet and I'm very happy with it.  #17747 has 2.25 inlet and outlet.  I'm not sure if its cheap or not, I can't remember how much I paid for it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:18:07 PM by priya »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »
From what I gather, too big of a pipe will cause too much flow and the 4.0 will loose torque. 2.5" is the max recommended size.

These are the mufflers I'm looking at, in order of preference I think :

www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-21856/overview/ 2.5" in/2.5" out

www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-22590 2.5" in/2.25" out

www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-22558/overview/ 2.5" in/2.25" out

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
Has any put a muffler with a little noise to it?  Wondering what is out there. My current one is so bad rusted that does not even matter

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
I bought one from advance auto about 8-10 years ago. Don’t remember the exact price but it was less than $50.00 US
Problem with it was, it now is rusted through on the bottom. I am considering something from a manufacturer that will use better steel or stainless for a longer service life.

Updated

This is what I found with a quick search on Summit Racing’s site.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=2”%20muffler
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:09:40 AM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
I did find one through Advance Auto parts for about $30.  Getting it installed this week so will let everyone know how it does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk