News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Source for Thermal Switch  (Read 3656 times)

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Source for Thermal Switch
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »
My original Thermal Switch won't hold vacuum any more when it's cold, and I do want my air cleaner duct valves to work.  Various places sell these but I don't have a part number or specifications with which to order one.  My TSM says it should be closed at 40F and open at 55F.  This is different than the Thermal Vacuum Switch, but some folks use the terms interchangeably.  This part is a disk about 1/4" thick with two nipples sticking out the bottom, which exit the air cleaner and connect to vacuum lines.  The Thermal Switch body lives inside the air cleaner housing.  They were manufactured by Wells, and I can find lots of 'em on their website, but none seem to be listed for the Eagle.  If anyone has an AMC or aftermarket part number for the correct switch, it would really help me out.  Thanks!

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Source for Thermal Switch
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
if you can post a pic of the part you need I will look to see if I have one on one of my parts cars. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
If its an earlier-model Eagle with the switch that sticks down from the air filter housing, the P/N is 8128338 (or J8128338 for Chrysler).   Group 4.088-9.   Good luck.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
I used a coat hanger to make mine manual.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
I found this for a 1984-1986 AMC Eagle, 258, non California emissions equipped
ac delco part number is 212-249, AMC part number is: 3238932 General Motors part number is: 12351034
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:10:03 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!  I did find a reference to the part, with several cross numbers for other manufacturers.  I ended up with a Delphi TS10167 because I could get it from Rock Auto (love those guys).  It doesn't agree with numbers from 1985AMCEagle but seems to work fine.  I'll hang on to those numbers for next time.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
I wonder if some parts suppliers use different numbers, or I may have had the wrong item found. I apologize if that was the case
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline flyamerican

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
No worries - I wouldn't be surprised if there are different part numbers that are equivalent.  Unfortunately, none of the writeups for anyone's part has shown the open and close temperature range, which would make selecting the right one easy.  We must rely on the supplier's idea of what cross reference part numbers are the same.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
I think the only way that you would find that out would be in the physical books that were thrown out of most parts stores. if your lucky, you can find a few parts stores that still have the catalogues, and staff members that know how to use them.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk