News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel Eagle conversion  (Read 22711 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Diesel Eagle conversion
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
Rich, since you have experience with these engines, what would your guesstimate be on MPG with a swap into a wagon? What MPG do the Mercees wagons yield?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
Rich, since you have experience with these engines, what would your guesstimate be on MPG with a swap into a wagon? What MPG do the Mercees wagons yield?
The average mileage for these engines in the different chassis (wagon, sedan, coupe etc) is around 26 MPG.  Some get upwards of 30 on a good day, others 22 on a bad day.  Very rarely do they get LESS than 22 MPG.  The bigger cars (300SD- 116 & 126 chassis) actually get better mileage than the smaller "boxy" cars (sedan and wagon), because they are more aerodynamic.  When I was computing the MPG on my cars, I was getting an average of 24 MPG using Biofuel.  Higher MPG can be had with pump Diesel than with Biofuel, but for me the cost for the fuel was/is so close to free, that it does not matter the MPG.   Years ago the whole idea for getting the '80 Turbodiesel Eagle was to run it on Biofuel, and travel to car shows with the car.  After finding out the rarity of that vehicle, I decided to "practice" the Biofuel concept on a much less valuable vehicle.  That is what started the whole 'Benz thing for me.  I have now owned more 'Benzs than Eagles (26-Benz, 20 Eagles)....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
I've seen several posts on Cherokees with a VW/Audi TDI in it.

I think there are several others out there as well. The 1.9 can make 150hp with stock European parts, but U.S. units were limited to 98hp due to emissions regulations. It'll go even further with aftermarket parts. I've wanted to put one in a Kammback or Gremlin for years.

I could swear someone was manufacturing an adapter to mate them to AMC pattern transmissions, but I can't find it right now.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
They extended the body to fit the motor. Good frickin' lord. I'll stick with my SD33T diesel conversion. It is the same size as an AMC 258 and the same basic specs. It would fit without all that fuss.

Anyone seen diesel motors converted to propane or natural gas? I'd really like to use the robust, high compression block with propane or gas. That would actually start without a cloud of smoke, ten minutes of glowplug time, and ten minutes of warm up time. Diesel is aggravating.

I converted Olds diesel V8s and V6s to natural gas and LPG but it's not for the feint of heart or wallet! You need to machine spark plug holes so they don't blow out! Head gaskets are custom and you can't go over 14:1 with LPG or 17:1 for Nat Gas (unless mixed with diesel). Running CNG injected with diesel acts like NOs for non-turbo motors.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »

I think there are several others out there as well. The 1.9 can make 150hp with stock European parts, but U.S. units were limited to 98hp due to emissions regulations. It'll go even further with aftermarket parts. I've wanted to put one in a Kammback or Gremlin for years.

I could swear someone was manufacturing an adapter to mate them to AMC pattern transmissions, but I can't find it right now.

The VW motor could probably also be put in with a Postal Jeep trans off the Audi 2.0L powered Jeep DJ5-Gs if it has the dual pattern on the block or the raised pads where the bolt holes could be drilled (if 2 original holes line up, the rest are easy) The trans would need a few mods for diesel. I can't recall which starter they used but it may need upgrading. The torque converter stall speed needs to be lowered.
   The 5 cyl Audi diesel might even be better but you REALLY need to keep the motor cool!

Another option is a Toyota 2LT motor which came with a version of the AW4 or AX-15 behind it. A company in Florida sells the cutouts (complete drivetrain with mounts) on Ebay. 2LTE has a computer 3L and 5L don't (interchangeable) There are Isuzu motors as well (as used in Chevy Luvs) Just be careful about the motor weight. 4BT is WAAAAY too heavy for the front of the Eagle. With 3 inch lift coils, it would still be nearly dragging on the road.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
http://www.cotybuilt.com/hardware.html

Wow, I didn't know it had gotten that far. Now I just need to save up some money for a new car!
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »
They extended the body to fit the motor. Good frickin' lord. I'll stick with my SD33T diesel conversion. It is the same size as an AMC 258 and the same basic specs. It would fit without all that fuss.

Anyone seen diesel motors converted to propane or natural gas? I'd really like to use the robust, high compression block with propane or gas. That would actually start without a cloud of smoke, ten minutes of glowplug time, and ten minutes of warm up time. Diesel is aggravating.

I converted Olds diesel V8s and V6s to natural gas and LPG but it's not for the feint of heart or wallet! You need to machine spark plug holes so they don't blow out! Head gaskets are custom and you can't go over 14:1 with LPG or 17:1 for Nat Gas (unless mixed with diesel). Running CNG injected with diesel acts like NOs for non-turbo motors.

That's pretty frickin' cool, Carnuck.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »
Whats the likely hood of this working in the eagle?! http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-71-Detroit-Diesel-Engine-/171534103376

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
It weighs as much as 2 SX4s, so I'd say no. Had one in my '67 GMC ex-city bus I turned into a motor home. 12 mpg was the best it got, but I paid $1500 for it, lived in it for three years. When I got bored, I'd turn the key and go. I was a single dad at the time with an ex wife that thought she was worth a kings ransom.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
Here's a 4-71 in a full size Chevy truck. Now imagine it with 2 more cylinders.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:51:33 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »
Hahah if i could i would. Like imagine it: all black eagle, with the brush gaurd Stacks sticking out the hood all lifted up, 2inch spacers ..... <3 Talk about a bad butt ride!

Offline dakrisnit

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »

You may remember the early 80's Jeep Cherokee diesels.  They used the Renault turbo diesel, not that many sold in the U.S.  Those used an AX-5 manual trans so there was a bellhousing to connect that diesel with the AX-5.  I understand one problem was that the bellhousing was weak and cracked a little too often.  I don't know if there was an aftermarket one available, but would like to find one.  That same Renault diesel was used in small RV's like the LeSharo and were decent power for the RV, so in a Cherokee it should have been even better and of course in an Eagle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk