News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 04:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Half Axle 82 Eagle Problems  (Read 3911 times)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Half Axle 82 Eagle Problems
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Okay

In last couple of months have replaced driver's side half axle twice.

Mechanic tells me all three have broken oat the inside knuckle.

They believe the motor mounts are good but wondering if the after market axle input shafts might be different length than originals. This model of half axle shaft's have a spline that is held in place with a snap ring.

I keep it locked in 4 wheel drive as vacuum lines long gone.

This 82 Eagle is a real good daily driver and really wish to keep it on the road but could go broke replacing half axle.

Would appreciate suggestions.

doug

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Half Axle 82 Eagle Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
Do you mean the CV axle or the stub going into the differential?

The outer CV end is all one piece and is retained in the knuckle with a bolt at a very high torque.

They should look like this one:

There were lighter duty 4cyl ones out there.

I've seen undersized nuts on the end, and I always reuse the larger factory nuts like in the picture.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
If the car is lifted or the mounts are sagging (or the passenger's side axle hanger is for the wrong year) then the driver's side axle will keep wiping out due to the increased thrust angle. Temporarily you can run just the outer end as a 2wd (that's how I've run mine this past year till I finish my lift and have it high enough to use S10 axles)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Funny, I'm doing the same.

I have the spline ends of the cvs bolted through the wheel ends to hold it all together until the swap.

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
A local AMC guy (Ken) gave me the advice to check Rock Auto and wow, their web site gives all the information needed to install the new one correctly.  My guess is my mechanic installed is like I would have. take off the broken one and attach the new one.  The instructions cover much of the advise you memers have give me.

Thanks much.

Hears hoping my mechanic will do it correctly this time.

dkoug

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
I change them with the tires on the ground (unless it's sagging. Then I do it on ramps) 6 bolts on the inner end and one big nut on the outer. Average time to change is 20 minutes a side unless the inboard bolts are stripped.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk