News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 06:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear end acted up after manuallel putting car into 4 wheel drive.  (Read 22038 times)

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Rear end acted up after manuallel putting car into 4 wheel drive.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
Look in the eaglepedia.
I checked the eaglepedia and only seemed to find information about the transfer case, nothing about the front axle using vac hoses.

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »
Somewhere there is an explanation about locking in the front axle with a hose clamp.  It's a simple job but can be messy because you have to pull the cover off a small box and let the gear oil run out - sometimes down your arm.
The shift motor on the transfer case can be tied into place with wire.  I ran my 83 that way all last winter and just cut the wire and put it into 2 wheel drive in the spring.  It had jumped into false neutral the winter before and almost stranded me a few miles from home.
It does not hurt an Eagle to run in 4 wheel drive all the time.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
Somewhere there is an explanation about locking in the front axle with a hose clamp.  It's a simple job but can be messy because you have to pull the cover off a small box and let the gear oil run out - sometimes down your arm.
The shift motor on the transfer case can be tied into place with wire.  I ran my 83 that way all last winter and just cut the wire and put it into 2 wheel drive in the spring.  It had jumped into false neutral the winter before and almost stranded me a few miles from home.

Thanks, I will have to let my mechanic know as I believe right now he is just trying to find a way of having the switch on the motor for the front axle stay in place, though this seems easier.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
Look in the eaglepedia.
I checked the eaglepedia and only seemed to find information about the transfer case, nothing about the front axle using vac hoses.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Front_Axle_Lock

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
Somewhere there is an explanation about locking in the front axle with a hose clamp.  It's a simple job but can be messy because you have to pull the cover off a small box and let the gear oil run out - sometimes down your arm.
The shift motor on the transfer case can be tied into place with wire.  I ran my 83 that way all last winter and just cut the wire and put it into 2 wheel drive in the spring.  It had jumped into false neutral the winter before and almost stranded me a few miles from home.
what does the shift motor look like and how did you tie it in place. Sorry about all the question just want to be as detailed as possible for when I tell my mechanic.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:18:18 PM by Eagle1984 »

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Well my mechanic work on it and it seems the lever on the transfer case had simple come loose. Might still have my mechanic lock the front axle in the way you guys have shown though he seems confident in the way he did it and I do not want to offend him. Something about him working 30 years on cars and knowing what he is doing, or so my parents say.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Not discounting your mechanic's actions, there are a few ways you can lock front axle but my dad got thrown out of an auto repair shop years ago because the mechanic said, "I've been doing this 30 years!" My dad said, "Just because you've been doing something for 30 years, doesn't mean you've been doing right for 30 years."
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
since it failed once he sounds like a vet mechanic that needs all the help he can get.

If he is not so arrogant than he would accept it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
since it failed once he sounds like a vet mechanic that needs all the help he can get.

If he is not so arrogant than he would accept it.

I do not think my mechanic would be the problem it would be my dad. He seems to think he is right about everything and hates it when people doubt his vehicle knowledge, plus my parents are helping with the repair bills.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
Also just wondering but what would happen if I replaced my Transfer case with a 119 which only has 4 wheel drive? Can it be done on a 1984 Eagle.
I recently did this swap in my 1983.  you have to make sure that the front axle is locked in 4wd or the car will not move at all and just spin the front drive shaft.

You have to make sure that you get the correct speedo gear for the 119 cause it is bigger (physically) than the one in your current unit.
Your speedo will be in accurate after the swap.  mine says it's doing 20 when the car is actually going 25 and says i am going 57 when the car is actually going 65.

1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »
Also just wondering but what would happen if I replaced my Transfer case with a 119 which only has 4 wheel drive? Can it be done on a 1984 Eagle.
I recently did this swap in my 1983.  you have to make sure that the front axle is locked in 4wd or the car will not move at all and just spin the front drive shaft.

You have to make sure that you get the correct speedo gear for the 119 cause it is bigger (physically) than the one in your current unit.
Your speedo will be in accurate after the swap.  mine says it's doing 20 when the car is actually going 25 and says i am going 57 when the car is actually going 65.

Could it be because the car the 119 came out of had a different axle ratio than yours?

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »

Were did you find one. Around where I live even ones in Junk yards are a rare site. Drove 6 hours just to get mine. Do they come up for sale on this site often? Looks like I will not be able to get the Eagle back in to lock the front axle the way shown here until thanksgiving. Then again he said he has done it before and so far it is working well.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
What is your reason for wanting a 119? Changing out a transfer case is a lot more work than getting the transfer case shifter mechanism working. If you really want one, I may know of one in the Denver, CO area from my old 81 Eagle that had 85k miles on it. 

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »
What is your reason for wanting a 119? Changing out a transfer case is a lot more work than getting the transfer case shifter mechanism working. If you really want one, I may know of one in the Denver, CO area from my old 81 Eagle that had 85k miles on it.  
I would just repair the vacuum system but can't seem to find a diagram for my model year. Will have to see what the gas millage will be like but I kind of like the idea of having it in 4 wheel drive all time, plus with a 119 one less then to worry about going out of 4 wheel drive, then all I have to worry about is the front axle. I thought having the 2 wheel drive option sounded nice but is the game millage really that much worse with 4 wheel drive? I guess you could say I live the better safe then sorry motto. Worry about small things and what could happen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:37:48 AM by Eagle1984 »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
The diagram I gave my buddy should still be up on http://oljeep.com The Jeep diagrams for the GW are almost identical for your setup. Jeep made it way more complicated than it needed to be. By '86 they fixed that by doing away with the vacuum front axle (like they were originally in '80/81 except 2wd was still possible)

Best setup: Vacuum from motor to reservoir. From reservoir to switch. 2 lines on switch (2wd and 4x4) Flip switch and vacuum goes to tcase vacuum motor, pulling it into 4x4. (this is with a locked or non-vacuum front diff) Flipping switch other way moves tcase vacuum motor to 2wd position. Best part? It is now shift on the fly!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk