News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 57596 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Your missing a rear defrost switch and rear wiper switch. why there is 3 holes idk

Manitowoc WI

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Funny, it doesn't seem to have a defroster and there is definitely no rear wiper.  ???
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
I did find this one piece of plastic that fits in that area, but it has a slit in it around the area where the three holes are which lead me to think something was there at one time or another.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
Just an update on how things are going with my Eagle. I took the headers and the pipe connected to that off so I could clean the engine off well and replace the gasket. We managed to find an aluminum valve cover for a fair price and ordered it. We charged the battery and this battery doesn't fit in the holder and was just sitting on the edge so we cut a piece of wood to put in the battery holder to make it stable. Still lots more to do.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a name?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:09:49 PM by EagleJoe93 »

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »
Your missing a rear defrost switch and rear wiper switch. why there is 3 holes idk

If you had just the defroster it went in the center hole. If you had wipers and defroster it used the two outer holes. A plastic cover went over it. I forget what the 80 did with the pushbutton and light. The toggle defroster has a protrusion that locks into the top notch to prevent it from twisting.

The DIN radio is nice.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
Ok, I did a search.

This is an early style:
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=37531.0

This is the single center later style like my 87 sedan:
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36162.0
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36361.0

This is the double layout for defrost and wiper/washer in the later style:
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36215.0
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
The control for the wipers is under the headlight knob on the left side of the dash. There is a defroster for the front windshield built into the climate controls. There is no wiper for the rear window and I don't think there is a defroster there. Maybe there was some sort of delete plate there?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
That's odd for a Limited, I thought they all got rear wipers and rear defrosters, and it would be strange not to at least have the rear defroster. Perhaps it's a different glass or back hatch and an owner removed the switches?

I'm sure there is a delete plate for it, though. Base and fleet vehicles could be bought without both features.
NSS#47184

Prafeston

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
That's odd for a Limited, I thought they all got rear wipers and rear defrosters

All Limited meant was it got leather seats. My Limited came with almost no other options. I did get a rear defroster though...but for some reason it isn't working.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
There is a piece of plastic that goes over it, but it's bent, has a slit in it, and looks sort of nasty. Not worrying about that now, have to get the car put back together and running first.  :P I'm not sure if it has a rear defroster or not. I see nothing that would lead me to believe that it does. Definitely does not have a rear wiper.

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
I have but one question....does the tachometer work??
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
All Limited meant was it got leather seats. My Limited came with almost no other options. I did get a rear defroster though...but for some reason it isn't working.
Well, you learn something new all the time. I had to troubleshoot mine as well; I had a bad ground.

There is a piece of plastic that goes over it, but it's bent, has a slit in it, and looks sort of nasty. Not worrying about that now, have to get the car put back together and running first.  :P I'm not sure if it has a rear defroster or not. I see nothing that would lead me to believe that it does. Definitely does not have a rear wiper.

It was just the standard grid type, so it should be obvious. They make kits for the glass but I bet you could find someone who has a hatch you could transplant the glass from if you wanted one. I don't know how people lived without them.
NSS#47184

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
I have but one question....does the tachometer work??

Yes it does. I was very surprised to find a wagon with one. They seem to be a rare feature. Do they have a bad reputation or something?

BenM, a Key West sticker is all that's on the rear window, nothing else. I'm not going to worry too much about having a defroster for now. There are other things that need to be done. The hatch is missing the  :amc: AMC badge. Is there anyone on here that has one or knows where to get one?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:19:02 PM by EagleJoe93 »

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
Just got an aluminum valve cover in the mail today and a NOS AMC badge is on it's way. Once school is out of the way (one more week to go) I plan on spending a whole weekend to get her back on the road.  :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »
A question I've been wondering about. What is the towing capacity on eagles?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk