News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does front driveshaft always turn even in 2WD? 1986 model  (Read 1983 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Does front driveshaft always turn even in 2WD? 1986 model
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »
Hi all new here, quick question for the experts... I have the 1986 Eagle wagon and from reading it has a 128 open differential which was apparently one year only.

Does the driveshaft in front of the transfer case always turn while driving, even in 2WD? I see the U-joint in front of the transfer case (rear of the front driveshaft) is floppy so I'm going to replace it but I was wondering if it turns or not.

I only use 2WD right now anyway.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Does front driveshaft always turn even in 2WD? 1986 model
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Yes; since the later models do not have the "discoupler" on the front dif, it'll always be spinning.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Does front driveshaft always turn even in 2WD? 1986 model
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
Thanks. CleanTalk was blocking me from replying earlier, I had to switch to a different browser in order to post again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk