News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just rebuilt 258 now it's tapping help!  (Read 7208 times)

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Just rebuilt 258 now it's tapping help!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
How do I check preload? I just thought you torque it to spec and your done. Are you saying that I could have a couple pushrods the wrong size and some are okay?
83 sx4 driver
83 wagon limited (project)
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
98 24valve Cummins work truck (beast)
94 suburban daily driver
93 freightliner FLD 120 (beast)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
hi, technically there is NO lifter preload spec. You have hydraulic lifters, so if your lifters/pushrods/rockers are factory, all should be well. A couple of thousands shave to straighten head should not alter anything. good luck, gz

Lifter preload is a thing and needs to be checked especially when  an engine is rebuilt and/or parts are mixed from different engines and machine work has been done. I replaced a cam in my dad's Oldsmobile about a year ago and since it doesn't have adjustable rockers just lie the 258, I had to check lifter preload to make sure I got the right pushrods. I bought a lifter and disassembled it and reoved the spring.. I then found some washers that fit in the lifter that gave me the desired preload figure. I think I shot for .040. Here's an article explaining lifter preload
http://www.laneautomotive.com/PumpItUp.htm
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »
Wow after reading that I'm thinking that I need longer pushrods and not shorter. Somewhere I read to check the pre load you make a mark on a pushrod at tdc and then loosen the rocker all the way make another mark and between them is the pre load. Am I correct.
83 sx4 driver
83 wagon limited (project)
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
98 24valve Cummins work truck (beast)
94 suburban daily driver
93 freightliner FLD 120 (beast)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk