News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacuum shift actuator replacement?  (Read 21122 times)

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Vacuum shift actuator replacement?
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
Well the Vacuum shift actuator thing on my eagles transferr case does not shift anymore.  I did convert it to shift on the fly (using a hose clamp and removing the vacuum lines on the front axle).
It worked great for a while but now the actuator at the t-case is just stuck, I took it off and it is just not moving anywhere.   

SO... my question is, can I remove the actuator at the front axle and use it at the t-case and use something else to keep the front axle engaged?

I found THIS on summit racing website for jeeps to keep a dana 30 locked in all the time.  SHOULD work just fine for an eagle.   http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POS-1100/?rtype=10

Unless someone knows where to get a new actuator?? or has one I can buy?????
1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Vacuum shift actuator replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
not sure if this would apply in your case, but would this work to keep in engaged all the time?

http://emeraldgreen97.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/renix-era-dana-30-vacuum-disconnect-mod/
81 sx/4 - stock...
82 sx/4 - restore project...
81 sx/4 - crawler project...
99 xj - 6.5" lift, 35" km/2's, locked, etc...
95 pathfinder - daily driver...

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »
You can buy the actuator for Shift on the Fly here:
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=vacuum&catid=

Yeah sorry thats not in my price range....

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
the question I have is can i remove the actuator from the assembly and keep that retaining pin in place for the shift fork???  or is it all one piece?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
Yes it can stay ingaged all the time. i was waiting for someone else to answer you. i have done it i have another i shift to 4wd when needed by manually shifting it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
I would like to get it to work properly so that I can sell the Car.
That Is why I would like to retain the shift ability of the transfer case via the original switch.

Can I somehow remove the vacuum actuator from the front axle assembly and use it on the transfer case???

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
tomarow I will be in the salvage yard I like to frequent ..... if you want me to i can get one off of one of the sedans there
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
yeah I just realized before my trans install (attempt) that mine had quit moving/froze up.Happy to see it's available but not at that price,guess I'll stick with manual shifting until I can track down a cheaper replacement.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
You can buy the actuator for Shift on the Fly here:
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=vacuum&catid=

OMG I bought that exact part from that site about 4 or 5 years ago for 50 dollars talk about a mark up.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Your question: Can I somehow remove the vacuum actuator from the front axle assembly and use it on the transfer case???

The actuator on the front axle is different enough, mounting-wise and actuator-shaft-wise, to not be easily adapted to use it on the transfer case.

If any of your local salvage yards have any full-size Jeep Grand Wagoneers that were equipped with Selec-Trac, then they have a shift actuator that you could use.

The TeamGW price is obscene, but they are a specialty company, and can charge whatever they think they'll get from someone doing a perfection-restoration on a full size Jeep. The prices for FSJs in good shape are obscene, too, at least from the two FSJ-only dealers here in TX. Its a shame they have a role in the inflated prices of parts like the one you need.

The auction sites might have what you need, try searching for Grand Wagonner transfer case vacuum shifter. There are enough of them out there that someone is bound to be selling that part ,if you can't find it by searching for a listing specific to Eagle.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
Ok thanks for the Info.

I
tomarow I will be in the salvage yard I like to frequent ..... if you want me to i can get one off of one of the sedans there

so am I a day late for you to grab one for me???

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
Ok thanks for the Info.

I

so am I a day late for you to grab one for me???
I thought I'd have the cash to head over there today but as fate would have it I have to wait another day or 2 to head over ....... I'll grab as many as i can find
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 05:46:52 AM »
Is there a way to replace this vac motor with an electric motor?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 06:06:19 AM »
Is there a way to replace this vac motor with an electric motor?
I have been thinking the same thing ..... i am leaning towards trying a GM power lock motor once I take possession of the  4 door sedan i am purchasing 
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk