News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:42:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extreme time to hit operating temp  (Read 10285 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Extreme time to hit operating temp
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
Its been cold but not that cold mid 40's maybe high 30's. My problem is this it takes a really long time for the eagle to hit operating temp I can't understand it. I have the Weber 34/36 The choke works on high idle but takes about 15-20 minutes to warm up. I can't have this its ridiculous I'm burning through fuel like there's no tomorrow somebody please help 
:banghead:
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

68AMXGOPAC

Re: Extreme time to hit operating temp
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »
Are you talking driveability warm up, or just Temperature warm up ?

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
start with your thermostat. while i ask the same as the previous poster, i had a similar problem in my honda a while back. well, close but the honda would take at least half an hour to warm up and would lose all heat on the highway. turns out the thermostat had actually half fallen apart in the housing when the previous owner had it, and the "valve" had wedged itself sideways, basicly never closing and always allowing passage of coolant.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Have you checked that your choke is properly adjusted? That spring steel in the housing can lose it's "spring" if overheated for long amounts of time and can simply weaken if it's an older unit.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
The same thermostat falling apart thing happened in my XJ -- same symptoms.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of having a little cardboard in front of my radiator if it's a steady below 40. About half of the radiator blocked when it's below 15.

Make sure your fan clutch isn't stuck tight, you should be able to move it without turning the pulley while cold, but it will be a little stiff.

Mostly, though, I agree that the thermostat sounds stuck open.

How does it behave once warmed up?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »
The choke is properly adjusted and the thermostat is about 2 months old. Its a stant 195 temp thermostat I do not drive any of my cars until they are thoroughly warmed up so its just sitting there in the driveway. Takes at least 15 minutes on a good day to warm up. The coolant is topped off and the water pump is pumping. Once its warmed up there are no complaints it runs like a dream but this initial warm up is really getting to me.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
yea, fan. if its really cold put some cardboard on the front. i know what you mean about a well warmed car. i used to drive my old honda after it was warmed fully. then after thinking im wasting gas i statrted driving it right after it started to show heat but it started to clack really bad and then the clack turned into a knock.  :-\ with this one (different car, similar make, model, mileage) now i just let it hit full running temp before i go and no problems so far
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:36:30 AM by amcinstaller »
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Mine will take a good 20 minutes to warm up if it's just idling. If i drive it, it warms up in about 10 minutes.  It has been shown that a car only needs 30-60 seconds of warm up time to get all the fluids moving. Best way to warm a car up is to drive it. Just don't beat on it while it's cold.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:51:00 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
I dunno if a plug in block heater would help ya out, might not hurt to try
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »
I got to really be honest with you guys, there aren't too many of these cars out there. I hate making bad first impressions, there is no way in heck I am putting a piece of card board in front of the radiator. As if the looks I get now aren't bad enough imagine driving around with a big brown piece of cardboard wedged in front of your radiator thanks for the suggestion but No thanks LOL there's got to be a better alternative we can definitely come up with something better. Is it the clutch fan that causing this??

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
Mineroasts you out of the car in 5 minutes. As for drivability no problem. One pump. Turn key.

Tink715'seagle same thing. Minus the first few minutes the idle is high

Manitowoc WI

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
The Eagle and the Concord, at an idle, do take some time to warm up

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
I got to really be honest with you guys, there aren't too many of these cars out there. I hate making bad first impressions, there is no way in heck I am putting a piece of card board in front of the radiator. As if the looks I get now aren't bad enough imagine driving around with a big brown piece of cardboard wedged in front of your radiator thanks for the suggestion but No thanks LOL there's got to be a better alternative we can definitely come up with something better. Is it the clutch fan that causing this??
you could paint a piece of cardboard black ;D just me looking on the sunny side
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Ouch -  lots of bad advice about the necessity to warm up the Eagle in proper condition for longer that a few minutes.
An Eagle or any vehicle that is warmed up for more that a few minutes is being worn out much quicker than the following method.   Imagine me getting into my 82 Eagle in Edmonton at -24 C.
Pump gas twice, turn key, jumps to life, clean windshield of snow or ice. (say 4 minutes)
Drive away without using high revs.  This also works at -39 C in the Canadian Arctic. Cabin heat in 3 blocks of slow driving.

By idling for 10, 20, 30 minutes the fluids do not warm up fast. Proven by lack of cabin heat. This results in cold engine components beating each other to death!!!!!!!!! 

By driving away without revving engine the fluids warm much faster and thus less wear on the internal components of the engine.  An even cabin heat in a few blocks.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:39:47 AM »
My SX4 is up to the bottom of the green in a couple miles with only 10-15 seconds of warmup before driving away.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
So the question still stands, Is it the clutch fan that's doing this??

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:28:36 AM »
I still haven't figured out if your talking water temperature issues or driveability......... :-\

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »
I still haven't figured out if your talking water temperature issues or driveability......... :-\
What exactly is your definition of driveability, I do not drive any of my cars until they are thoroughly warmed up so its just sitting there in the driveway. I want the motor to come up to operating temp sooner than 20 minutes.

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
People!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the gospel of preventative maintenance.

Ouch -  lots of incorrect  advice about the necessity to warm up the Eagle in proper condition for longer that a few minutes.

An Eagle or any vehicle that is warmed up for more that a few minutes is being worn out much quicker than the following method.   Imagine me getting into my 82 Eagle in Edmonton at -24 C.
Pump gas twice, turn key, jumps to life, clean windshield of snow or ice. (say 4 minutes)
Drive away without using high revs.  This also works at -39 C in the Canadian Arctic. Cabin heat in 3 blocks of slow driving.

By idling for 10, 20, 30 minutes the fluids do not warm up fast. Proven by lack of cabin heat. This results in cold engine components beating each other to death!!!!!!!!!

By driving away without revving engine the fluids warm much faster and thus less wear on the internal components of the engine.  An even cabin heat in a few blocks.

Offline Steve F

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
I 2nd dkoug on the inaccuracy of an Eagle or any vehicle needing more than a few minutes to warm the fluids up before driving off. Once the oil starts to warm up (and that does not take very long) you should drive it. It does the engine no harm at all. It saves excess wear and tear on your engine and improves your gas milage as you are actually going some where rather than sitting in your driveway wasting gas while waiting for the engine to reach what you consider the optimal operating temperature.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
I agree, limited warm ups are all that are needed.   Given the other, non engine affected fluids time to warm up by driving the car sensibly the first mile or so, eg:  manual transmissions and differentials.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

amcconcord

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 03:24:27 AM »
Take it easy on the Eagle, new means nothing!
To Explain;
First a 195 degree thermostat should be fine in -130 below zero F.
That Eagle should be pumping heat inside the car in less than 3.5 minutes.
So lets do the cheap checks first!
You have just started the Eagle with a couple of pumps on the pedal
Check Following:
Have hood open, remove thumb screw from air cleaner, remove cover
Choke should be totally closed,
If not adjust it so it is.
Then retest from cold as the choke opens you dash meter should be entering
up over the first slash mark, weather your Webber is heat tube or electric this is
How they work, period!
Lets say after cold check, choke opens and closes as stated
Put you air cleaner cover back on and jump to next cheap check.
Now check RPM at cold it should be at between 1100 and 1200 R.P.M.
If not adjust this at cold till it starts from cold to correct R.P.M.
Should stay this way for about 2 minutes max.
Then be able on its own to start slowing down till it gets to about 600 R.P.M.
If yours doesn't do this at a cold start fix it so it does.
If it does do what is stated above jump to third cheap check.
On the back of the intake manifold towards the fire wall there should be a single
Wire and a threaded stud look for it, pull the wire from the stud, clean the inside
contact point with a small amount of steel wool pressed onto the top of a scribe
these get a green coating on them at times, giving some real bad reading if any at all!
Take a short wire and touch the inside of newly cleaned contact and ground the other
side of the wire to a good ground. Now check you dash reading the temp should be ping-ed
to the top like past the "H" of hot, this simple test tells you if your dash temp is playing games
with you, If it does not ping to top clean again, and check for voltage to heat sensor.
You will also notice inside the covered single wire connector the contact inside has a split
in it before you reinstall on-top of stud make sure you use pliers to push that slot to all most closed cant see it any more, steel wool the top of the threaded sensor also,now put sensor wire back on, once on the sensor give it a third of a turn to make sure it seated correctly.
If you find that all the cheap checks come to be perfect, then jump to last cheap check
The air pocket headache, to check this you need to remove your radiator cap and place
in safe place, get into Eagle, and open in cabin heater controls to highest push on bottom
and to heat on top lever, no fan needed, start your Eagle, now with a little wait on your part
when the engine begins to heat up the fluid in the cap area should look like it's flowing
by, because your thermostat opened and what was in engine is now in radiator what was in radiator should be in engine, the dreaded air pocket shows up here well, if the radiator is full when started
as your thermostat opens and fluid flows, you in this case would find your radiator dry as the fluid
was there was now pumped into the engine, correct by filling with new fluid, if it does become dry
you want to keep filling the radiator several times as your cabin heating area may also be air locked
when it has cycled thru 5 or 6 times install back onto radiator your cap.
Check by letting entire engine to cold then start the Eagle again and it should heat up in time frame outlined above.
If the Radiator check shows now fluid moving at all let say for 20 minutes and all the above cheap checks are good you now have one of either two problems, thermostats  even new  ones can be flawed out of box, over the years 40 or better I have run into this problem if not 30 times.
Get a new thermostat before you begin this next test, and gaskets and sealer, have ready for
now the somewhat time taker little more work check.
Take vise-grips and pinch of hear hoses before removing them from thermostat housing.
Take Heater hoses off remove radiator upper hose, remove thermostat housing, now as you ply the housing away from front of engine please with good lighting notice which way the spring which opens and closes the thermostat is, I have seen in my life people knowing better but make the mistake of placing the thermostat in backwards, the spring part should always face into the engine
not the other way, if found spring facing out away from engine, it will open when first installed but, will freeze in a part open part closed state, because in hangs up on the casting of the thermostat holder, so you get moving fluid always, thru the engine to the radiator and this causes
the fluid in the engine never to be able to heat up, if you find your thermostat backwards consider yourself lucky! Whey cause I have seen others do it backwards and the thermostat stays closed causing the Eagle to over heat one such friend I have froze the engine dead overheated he had two problems bad sensor wire connection so he never saw his heat rise to the High heat area
and he put his thermostat in backwards Ouch!
New motor!
So bless your lucky stars yours is always cold or slow to heat up. If thermostat is total closed and upon inspection it was placed in the engine the correct way, then the thermostat is toast, replace with desired new thermostat, then put assembly together put hoses back on, keep the inside heater settings to open, now start Eagle and let run with cap off of radiator watch for the fluid to start flowing by make sure your radiator fluid never goes lower than the rim where the cap goes even
while your Eagle is running, once you see no lowering of fluid look at bottom of cap before installing it back on, look around the rubber gasket area any sign of wear replace it, for the replaced thermostat with fluid full may be good now but if your cap leaks as pressure builds up
and sends heated fluid into the recovery bottle, which also needs to be eye inspected for holes
so fluid stays in it, because if it leaks then you would never catch your engine cooling fluid
slowly just draining away, I always replace the radiator cap, every-time I replace a thermostat
fooling around with old parts for my money and time is not worth it period, just for note here your fluid should be changed every two years, not doing so will cause acids that form from heat and cooling to eat away at the radiator core which is the main reasons why so many people have to replace the Radiators! Don't believe me, take a voltage meter place positive to a clean surface
on your radiator, and the other on ground Eagle not running no keys in nothing, just you meter and hood up, you will see a voltage to ground, and wonder where does that come from, that my friend are acids interacting with a metal break down of  you radiator, it creates a voltage and drains on your battery, Seen lots of people get dead battery's and wonder why, they replace there battery
leave Eagle or any other car sit a month and Battery dead, then wonder why, its called main-tance!
Anyway if all the cheap and the replaced thermostat have been done and works as I have told you it should, your Eagle should be working just Fine.
If not, this is no rocket science here one  of those steps above was not done.
You don't need cardboard, some people do that to get a higher temp for heat inside the car Or Eagle, thats the only reason to do that, remember about the thermostat spring being inside the engine, why cause thats where the hot water comes from first the engine, then to the radiator not the other way around, so the cardboard trick keeps the fluid from cooling so much before it re-enters the engine, thats all the cardboard trick does!
Now the water pump or clutch fan question
This is a point to where the clutch may freeze up meaning fan always running, easy check
with Engine off you should be able to spin your fan very easy, But let me make this point
even if your Clutch fan was frozen in place running all the time, your Eagle if all above
Status is as pointed out your Eagle might make it up to the second line before the green shaded
area on your dash, but you will have heat and it still will never take 20 or 30 minutes to bring the Eagle to temp, And I mean ever!
Its a closed system, those are are all the parts that need to work, If they are, then you no longer have a heat up or heat inside the cabin problem, that simple.
If you Eagle is still cold, taking a long time to heat up then, one or more of the above points is not working as I stated, cause that is all there is to the entire system, it is that straight forward,
One last note here which I call the Eagle is a liar to you, what do I mean, well
do simple test, on any given cold day, Start you Eagle let sit for 3 minutes most, open hood,
hold away from the fan your upper radiator hose if feels hot or warm, then the car is warm
its that sensor in the back near the fire wall, its rare but they break down inside so the resistance
change between it and ground can be off by 300 to 900 ohms meaning your dash meter is being lied to, you would need to remove that wire you cleaned, using a 7/16 wrench remove the threaded sensor, replace and reconnect your sensor wire as I said it above, and your dash meter
will show correct temp!
I am a engineer buy trade, I have my PHD in electronics, I am also certified in all 11 ASE certifications, three of those have to do with EPA alt fuels.
So when I say, these are and can be you only problems, I mean it! Either that you have a Eagle from outer space, cause if you checked  everything I asked you to check, there's nothing left to check!
So you would have the impossible Outer Space Eagle.
Done
Let me know how it goes, I am the dead guy they gave a computer to, here in Philly, PA.
Nice meeting you amcconcord-2

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions and thank you amcconcord for your extremely detailed suggestion. Unfortunately the clutch fan was the culprit here. It was jammed and therefor always engaged causing excessive warm up time. I am just glad its fixed, thanks again.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »
Could still be a bad thermostat. The fixed clutch would reduce the air going through the rad and let it warm up faster but the thermostat could still be opening too soon.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

amcconcord

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »
Your welcome, sorry to hear about the clutch being the bad part, but it is fixed now correct, and as far as the details I was in the hospital going thru a real tough time being  dead and all and then treatment, now home I hope till I am really in the ground, so writting in detail took the pain away, and made me feel use-full!
In my remaining days how many I do not know, I expect to be writting much more often and on lots of subjects, I am finishing a word doc on repairing SX4 transmission shifter with pictures of the before and afters, and tricks I have learned to make most shifters from most SX4 tranny's fit any Eagle watch for it!
Sending you a good egg for the nice words you gave me.
amcconcord-4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk