News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 83 SX/4 (Sketchy)  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 83 SX/4 (Sketchy)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
Ill have to check those out.

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:44 AM »
Quick update. I turned 16 on the 31st. And ill be taking my road test on the 18th. I have enough money to get the eagle into a local transmission shop. 1500 dollars sounds steep, but for everything he's doing I think its about right. Needs new tires soon, probably some Hankook ultra grabbers or something. Exhaust is still a major unknown. But right now it seems like were at the tipping point from a dormant project, into full work mode. Ill Double down and figure out how to post pics when I have all the photos id like to post!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
Happy Birthday Ace, Good look on the driving test. 1500 sounds pretty reasonable to rebuild a 998 actually. Ive got hankook optimo H274's on mine, they were $50 a piece on amazon when I got them, and theyre pretty d@mn decent for the price.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:02:48 AM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Thanks for the belated wishes. I don't need luck, Im practically the Opus of driving luck. Ill look into the tires, and 1500? Really? well, ill take your word for it.

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
Well I mean, of course it would be a fraction of the price if you got a kit, a few tools, and did it yourself, but thats a pretty big pita and unless you get everything perfect it may not work at all. As far as a shop doing it thats not bad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:27:54 AM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
Honestly, At the age I'm at, my schedule, and my striking ability to be inept at any use of tools, thats a can of worms I won't even try to crack open. Ill cut my losses and pay up.

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Another update!

Still haven't done  :censored: to the :censored: thing. But after I coaxed the answer to the starter drag out of her, the floodgates opened. Currently, as I sit. My digital clock up and quit on me. The trunk release gave, the back of the seat broke and I have no idea how to fix it, the Right rear leaf spring bends the opposite of how it should (Bends up). And I get my license on Friday. Im Nearing the point of "F**K it". But god knows ill continue to torment myself, because I still love this car with everything in me. The good is that I finally have enough money to get her into a show and have the transmission done. So at nothing else thats a plus.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
I have a small pallet behind the back of my seat until I find some other seats
my trunk release also quit last time it just got loose and lost connection hopefully that is what it is this time
stick with it eventually you'll get it al straightened outy

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
I have a set of used springs from my sx4 rally car in Lansing. You are welcome to them.  Might be better than yours and are not cracked.

Perservier!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
Dont get discouraged, just fix it like youd eat an elephant.

As for the floppy leaf, I can empathize with worn out springs, although not quite that bad. If you dont want to tackle taking the leafs apart, a decent temporary solution is to stick a pair of superior 11-1020 leaf spring helpers on them. Amazon has them for around 35 bucks and you just bolt them under the rear of the leafs, no dissasembly required. They wont make the springs work like new, but theyll keep them alive for a while longer.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
Thanks guys, Im not giving up. Nowhere close. I Was more or less making a joke about the process of owning an eagle. RallyEagle, ill send you a PM. My dads down that way, and I think he could pick them up. As for everything else, its just been a learning experience. And to be honest Im looking forward to the first ride. Thanks All!

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:29 AM »
Sad news on the home front. The Sx4 has been put on the back burner. I need a car, soon. And the money and time is beyond what I have the capabilities to do. I still have big dreams, but I need something newer, reliable, and cheaper. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me on this journey. I learned a lot, and made some new friends too. That you all. But for now thats a wrap on Sketchy.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
Bummer for the eagle.  I know of a running eagle wagon that might be fs in MI.

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
Id love to, but I need something that runs, and drives, Soon. Like, this weekend. Im sad to say, but she's gonna be a WIP project for a while

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk