News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lowering an Eagle  (Read 492 times)

Offline zeebo76

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
Lowering an Eagle
« on: July 16, 2023, 01:31:07 AM »
For the record, I’m not looking to slam an Eagle to the ground, I’m just after a more conventional passenger car stance from the period. Just low enough that someone wouldn’t say “yeah I kinda figured” when you tell them it’s 4x4. I have a special project coming up that I’m looking to lower in this way.

So, What are the possibilities in regards to lowering an Eagle by 1-1.5”?  I’ve done some poking around on my Wagon (which will remain stock height), and it seems that lowering springs and a trimmed bump stop would do the trick.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Lowering an Eagle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 11:42:32 AM »
My quick thought would be shorter front springs. Definitely do not cut springs. It will ruin the ride quality. Not sure if a compatible spring rate could be found. Not sure if Concorde or Hornet spring would work.
As for the rear, maybe remove a leaf? Replace with springs from a Hornet or Concorde?
I am sure someone with far more knowledge will chime in.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline zeebo76

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
Re: Lowering an Eagle
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 09:39:26 PM »
My quick thought would be shorter front springs. Definitely do not cut springs. It will ruin the ride quality. Not sure if a compatible spring rate could be found. Not sure if Concorde or Hornet spring would work.
As for the rear, maybe remove a leaf? Replace with springs from a Hornet or Concorde?
I am sure someone with far more knowledge will chime in.

Yeah, shorter front springs were my safest guess too. Depending on how low I go (max of 2” lower) I’d be looking into a shorter shock absorber as well. I do wonder how this would affect the CV axles - if they’re short enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk