News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After Market Valve Covers  (Read 150014 times)

Offline rangerfng

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: After Market Valve Covers
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
Ok all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am in need of your guidance . We have been working on our 1985 AMC Eagle Deluxe for several years now. essentially, we have rebuild the entire vehicle. Suspension, Trans, cooling system and engine has been done from top to bottom. We had purchased an aftermarket BML valve cover that looks beautiful on the vehicle. But, we keep blowing the gaskets. Im thinking that there is to much pressure in the crank that is causing this issue. Has anyone combated this issue and if so, how did you do it. Please help. I have a breather on the top of the valve cover. Would a PVC valve also help with the pressure. I ordered another valve cover and a heavy duty casket.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
If your PCV system is working at all you should not be blowing out cover gaskets unless you have some insane blow-by. Make sure your breather vent is not plugged.

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #272 on: September 18, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
On our 83 eagle, the valve cover has two pcv vents, one on the front right behind the rubber "bathtub stopper" oil filler hole(which leaks) and the rear pcv.  Front one has rubber tube that goes to vacuum side of carb, and rear one goes to a filter/baffle on the back of the air cleaner.  Both have lots of oil blowby, I guess it's time to replace, but wondering why there are two of them.....  Anyone know?

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2022, 01:00:39 PM »
Just realized dummy previous owner put the crankcase vent coming from front valve cover elbow fitting over to intake manifold vacuum, and pcv from rear valve cover to air cleaner.

Would explain why there was so much oil from vent elbow as manifold was sucking mightily on that hose when at idle
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 01:01:42 PM by Artmodels »

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2022, 04:58:20 PM »
the rubber "bathtub stopper" oil filler hole(which leaks)

For that I can say the Gates aftermarket oil caps are too loose a fit. I used a socket and a hammer to press a washer into the underside of the cap to expand it a bit and it's a much tighter fit now.

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2022, 01:48:44 AM »
Got success at auto zone, they had the exact oem style rubber oil cap for $4.00!  Went on real tight, no more oil blowby!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk