News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 06:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Going to rebuild brake system - what parts are hard to find?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Going to rebuild brake system - what parts are hard to find?
« on: February 15, 2024, 04:41:05 PM »
Good day everyone.

Since I will be getting all new brake lines installed as well as new rotors, brakes etc, I figured Id replace the brake booster and master cylinder.

Are these readily available?

I can find things online but I know from looking at bushings that a lot of the times the things don't fit properly so trying to get a plan of attack before I start.

Thanks in advance.

Even

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Going to rebuild brake system - what parts are hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 05:24:08 PM »
Rotors, pads, drums and the rubber boot/slide bolt hardware kits for the calibers are still available. I was able to buy all of them off the shelf at my local Lordco auto parts store.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 11:38:43 PM »
hi, master cylinders are readily available. boosters are as well but harder to find. If you decide to get a booster, try to get a booster/master cylinder ASSEMBLY, otherwise you will have to adjust pushrod length yourself. I got one about 7 years ago from Autozone. Don't know if still available, but if your booster ain't broke, why fix it?  good luck,  gz

Offline 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 01:58:22 PM »
I have not been able to find a source for boosters that have a quick turn around. Most of the boosters are rebuild services that cost a few hundred dollars. Everything else seems to be easy to find.
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 02:12:17 PM »
I'd like to have this vehicle set as a daily driver and would feel very comfortable knowing the entire brake system was new or at least rebuilt.

I will most likely have a professional run the new gas and brake lines, but figured I can probably replace the brake booster and master cylinder myself.

I didn't think about that push rod adjustment. Is it a difficult process or just a timing thing?
I've researched this stuff years ago and remember thinking I could probably tackle it but will definitely need to brush up.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Evenprime

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 12:43:02 PM »
Another option is to do hydro boost http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43869.msg353694#msg353694

Now that is an interesting idea I never considered before!!!!!
looks like a great idea.

Thanks for sending me down another rabbit hole!!!! hehe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk