News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are these two?  (Read 746 times)

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
What are these two?
« on: June 02, 2023, 10:50:26 AM »
what are these two electrical items on the fender wall? i know the starter relay, but what are the other two square relays?

1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
Re: What are these two?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »
i think i figured out that the larger of the two is the horn relay, can someone confirm, maybe ill just go pull it and see if the horn stops working, but what is the smaller one and also what is this sensor on top of the intake manifold?
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
hi, yes the large one is the horn relay. The small one is, I think, the relay for the manifold preheater, not 100% sure on that. On the manifold, thats the knock sensor. If your CeC system is working, its important to have. good luck,  gz

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 12:28:16 PM »
thank you, i swapped out my carb and distro, no computer anymore.

thx again

henry
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 05:31:24 PM »
a little info on this subject please, i want to swap out my oil pressure light for a mechanical oil pressure gauge, where is the best place to get oil pressure from?

is the wire\sensor on the rear of the cyl head the idiot light? is that where i should get my oil pressure from?

what is the ?sensor? near the starter? is that the oil pressure switch?

also does the intake preheater system need the computer (ecm) to work? or just the relay and wiring to the manifold? how can i test that system for functionality? i removed my computer.

Thank you
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »
I'll try to answer the questions in order. :)

The best place to get oil pressure from is the OE oil pressure sensor port.

The sensor on the rear of the cylinder head is not the sensor you seek.  There is no oil pressure in the cylinder head.

The sensor near the starter is the oil pressure switch.  It is wired to the electric choke so that a key-on, engine-off event doesn't cause the choke to open with the engine still cold.  I think the best bet would be to find a T adapter to leave the OE switch in place, but still be able to plumb in a second sensor.

The manifold heater is also driven off the oil pressure switch, again so it is not continuously running with key-on, engine-off.  If you want to know if it's working, just start the engine and try to feel that round thing on the bottom of the intake under the carb.  It should begin to feel warm after about 3 minutes, long before the metal of the intake gets warm.  Easier to tell when it's cold out.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 10:08:36 PM »

The best place to get oil pressure from is the OE oil pressure sensor port.

As stated above, just tee off of the female 1/8" NPT oil-pressure port in the block, and this way you can keep the standard oil-pressure switch and run a line to a dash or console oil-pressure gauge.  All the fittings you would use will be 1/8" NPT as pictured on my block.  The fittings to adapt to an aftermarket oil pressure gauge will be included in the gauge's kit.

Hope this helps --
David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk