News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Axle - Hose Clamp Method Question and is this a dumb idea???  (Read 1945 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
My daughter and I are restoring her birthday present...an '82 Eagle SX/4. It does not have shift on the fly. Vacuum shift motor on axle as well as transfer case. As I'm getting ready to try and fix the plumbing for that system, I've been on the forum and keep seeing posts about people who have permanently locked the front axle with a hose clamp. This seems like the way to go. My questions are:

1. Is there a how-to on this procedure? I can't seem to find one.
2. Are there any down sides to this?
3. If I wanted to keep the select drive switch and vacuum shift motor on the transfer case, will that work? I'm thinking it will as the axle shift motor seems to act as a switch, sending signal to the transfer case letting it know it is locked before the transfer case actuates. And in reverse it won't matter as the transfer case unlocks first.

And now for the potentially dumb question. What about wiring up a weatherproof solenoid on the transfer case with a relay and switch and taking all of the vacuum out of it? It seems this would give me shift on the fly, and make it more reliable.

Any help, advise, and particularly a how-to on the hose clamp method would be appreciated!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:40:42 AM by jrpentolino »
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
Re: Front Axle - Hose Clamp Method Question and is this a dumb idea???
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 01:33:42 PM »
Here's some info...

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Front_Axle_Lock

Awesome! This seems pretty straight forward. Thank you for the link. Has anyone tried replacing the transfer case shift motor with something like an electric solenoid? I'm thinking about getting rid of the entire vaccum system, but I don't want to convert to full time 4WD.

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »
I am soooo stoked. I decided to try and get the select drive working as the Good Lord intended before modifying anything. So I replumbed the vacuum lines using as much of the original components and replacing what I had to. I was absolutely floored when I tested it and it actually works!! The car is 40 years old and still both vacuum shift motors and the in-dash vacuum switch work flawlessly.

Needless to say, the purest in me is going to keep that bad boy stock.

Crazy, right??!!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:01:52 PM »
Crazy awesome!  Way to go for taking that on!  Very cool!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:50:28 PM »
I like stock.   Both of mine are stock -- well, except I did away with pulse air tubes on the waggie due to holes, and the plastic valve cover, and the AIR pump on the Sundancer, and............. we'll call them "stock plus" now.   Its all marketing......
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »
Crazy awesome!  Way to go for taking that on!  Very cool!

Thank you! I bought a shop manual on eBay and it has been an invaluable resource if for nothing more than the wiring and vacuum diagrams. I've now replaced every single vacuum line in that entire car (except for portions of the hard lines that are part of the select drive...I kept as much of that as possible).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk