News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:07:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Sender Nightmare  (Read 1947 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Oil Pressure Sender Nightmare
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
I salvaged off an '84 Eagle the instrument package and the tachometer and for the last three weeks I've been trying to make it behave with good luck, until I reached the oil pressure.

The sender I salvaged was no good (full of oil). A second sender I salvaged was also no good (wouldn't read). I shopped around the local parts stores and ended up finding the Borg Warner S330 (wrong electrical connector), the S334 (wrong thread) and then tried the S333 which turned out to be rated for 100PSI and isn't matched with the 80psi gauge, so it was reading 75psi at highway and 55 at idle (I know my engine isn't that good!). Finally I found the Napa OP6657 cross referenced to the 1980 Eagle only (I cannot find a reason WHY on the 1980 model), but cost $100, making it the most expensive option yet.
Okay, purchased that, installed it....I refuse to believe the reading of 10psi. I just overhauled the top end of the car due to lifter issues and I know for a fact I got good oil pressure.
I cannot for the life of me find the resistance spec of the original sender. Likewise I cannot find the spec for any of the others I have tried. AMCforum has asked I ohm it out myself but come on, you can't be telling me NOBODY has the spec.

At the same time I dismantled and cleaned the copper pads on the flexible circuit in the gauge package and inspected the gauge itself. Internally it has a 3 or 5w bias resistor and it's been hot at one point. Right now reads around 66 ohms and the third value in the color code has flaked off so I can only see GREEN GREEN ??? BROWN. I'm assuming it was originally 55 ohms, so it's 20% out of tolerance right now which is poor. Can anyone inspect to see what their resistor is marked?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Oil Pressure Sender Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 05:14:28 PM »
Do you have the M.R. 251 TSM??   Pages C-92 thru C-96 should have all the info you need.  Trouble-shooting are pages C-117 thru C-119.

The senders should be Standard PS60 (stud connector) or PS59 (button connector).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:16:47 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
Those page numbers do not sound familiar to my 1982 year TSM. Is there a copy of this hiding somewhere?

The PS60 is a 60psi rated sender, no? The standard gauge in the package is 80psi.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Those pages are from the '84-up Eagle TSM.   Don't know if there's a copy in the Eaglepedia or not.

Dunno about the ratings on the Standard senders - I just know they've been working OK on my cars (and the aftermarket parts catalogs I've seen all seem to list them for the Eagles).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »
From the reference photos, I'm seeing the same problem I was running into before.

The Standard PS-59 has the correct pipe thread but the wrong electrical connector.
The Standard PS-60 has the right electrical connector but the wrong pipe thread.

Also yes, the 84 year TSM is not in the Eaglepedia. :/

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 10:10:16 PM »
Maybe 'splains why one of mine has an adapter under the sender!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
It could possibly be.
Anyways, Ive had one of the "duds" screwed into the port for over a week now but only decided to actually connect it yesterday afternoon. I mean it didn't work at all when I first tested it, might as well make an adapter and clip it to something so it's not dangling.

GUESS WHO SUDDENLY DECIDES IT WANTS TO PLAY BALL.

So of course, the sender started working again, albeit you hit around 50psi and the signal drops off because the sender is still internally bad, but it reads accurately and it works.....but of course it has ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATING MARKS ON IT.

You've suggested a part, I've seen several that didn't work. I got no friggin clue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk