News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 04:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cruise control acting up  (Read 3630 times)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Cruise control acting up
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
I got Rudy out of the body shop last week (frame reconstruction.)  When it went in, the cruise  control was working properly.  Now, when I engage the cruise it accelerates without end.  The left fender had to be removed for best access to rust repair and I thought that being there are vacuum items above the plastic fender liner, that might be the place to start looking.  Power and fuel economy are unaffected, but the slight hard acceleration ping (at my high altitude, it's expected) has actually disappeared!  Any input or advice would be welcome.  I can live without a functioning cruise control, but I like everything to be fully operational. :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Cruise control acting up
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Mine has done the same thing, sometimes it works and sometimes it puts the pedal to the floor and keeps it there. Which really doesn't do much with 2.35 gears on a hill except use more gas, not a scary runaway like it would be with a powerful car.  ;D.
I use the cruise so very little, cause of the hilly area I live, but mine seems to work when I wants to. So I'm guessing its because of an old crunchy vacuum line that will hold pressure sometimes, and won't other times. I've done a lot of work under the hood, and under the dash, moving the cruise module and such between attempts of using the cruise, so it's really hard to say if I bumped something out of place or not under the hood or the dash.

I'd like to know if anyone knows the exact cause of the cruise just flooring it keeping it down without setting.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:03:18 AM »
Gee, not only do our Eagles LOOK identical, they suffer the same symptoms of old age!  Perhaps they were twins separated at birth. :amc:

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Let me join the woody gang! I think mine is the darker brown...maybe mommy was sleeping around! :)

No cruise control on my Eagle!

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
My brother from a different mother!  Is there a darker brown?  Mine's a rootbeer brown like my 71 Thunderbird blind quarter coupe.

Prafeston

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »
Mine is pretty dark.

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
I tried using the cruise control yesterday, and the first time it just put it to the floor. I then turned the switch off and back on, tried it again, same thing. Turned it off and on one more time and held the set button for a long time, and it worked. So maybe just messing with it can get it to work, mine worked fine afterwards. My guess it that the slider for the on off switch was pushed slightly into the accel part of the slider. Either that, or it takes awhile to set with holding the button. But if you have enough road, just try turning it on and off and holding the set button. It worked for me.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
mine doesn't work at all.  I've tried to set it, and nothing. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk