News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 08:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 87 Eagle Wagon Engine replacement options  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Stomper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
    • Art and Work Portfolio
87 Eagle Wagon Engine replacement options
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
I love my Eagle but had an oil pump issue that ended up killing the motor.. I saw oil light come on for a week but I had oil in the car and it wasn't leaking.. I learned a hard lesson. Everyone is saying to give up on the car but I just cant do it. I've done alot of work already and feel I am all in on this one. I am considering a re manufactured engine but still have questions about my specific options.. This is a link to new replacement in question 

http://tinyurl.com/6t3u4zw

Also wondering what other years and vehicles engines can drop right into place on my wagon
Thanks Alot
Stomper

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Re: 87 Eagle Wagon Engine replacement options
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
Pretty much any 258 will drop right in. I'd find a low mileage 4.0 donor, myself. The important parts will bolt up and with the correct complete donor you'd pick up all the benefits of MPEFI.

If you did a rebuild yourself on the murdered 258 you'd probably remember what the oil pressure light means next time  ;D
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Pretty much any 258 will drop right in.
It needs to be an 80+ 258 so that it will have the mounting bosses on the block for the front axle. The other minor difference will be in the head. 80's had a steel valve cover and 87-88 had an aluminum valve cover and the bolt holes may be different on the heads.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Its pretty easy to find a used but good 258 to drop in.  Check for jeep engines on the list, that's where I found mine for $300.  It's not difficult to swap in a replacement one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:44:01 PM by steveabn8295b »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
I did a swap from the parts Eagle, an 82. Any 258 81+ Some 80s AMCs were holdover blocks and didn't have the mountings.

The 4.0 block is cast but not always tapped for the brackets. There are of course a number of small details, just brows for some swaps on here.

If you're in a hurry, drop one right in, It's a weekend project with a hand or a couple of weekends on your own. I kept my original intake and exhaust due to the emissions setup, make sure you take pictures and notes as you disassemble.

You may want to have your head rebuilt because the chances of finding a non-plastic valve cover is slim. Of course you start down that path and it can turn into a 4.0 head and new cam.

It's probably best to start with a budget and price what you want, then add 10% for surprises.

Summary:
80+ Eagle
81+ Concord, Spirit; 258
81+ Jeeps; all 258
87+ 4.0; with minor work

Other engines require crossmember changes or welding to work.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Stomper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
    • Art and Work Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
Just want to say thank you for the info everyone... Much appreciated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk