News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 06:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new exhaust and intake gastkets  (Read 6698 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: new exhaust and intake gastkets
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Look for a local FASTENAL near you.  I bought a set of 50 bolts w/ everything else needed for $12.  I now have enough for many more projects.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
  Thank you GRONK, that is some good information. I googled store locator for Fastenal, and the closest one is in Sandpoint, Idaho. That is about 45 minutes from me. I will definitely check them out next time we are there.

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
Well, the old Eagle is back on the road to recovery. Replaced the head gasket and head bolt. Had to come up with a plan to put head back in place without moving gasket. Can't believe there are no dowels to hold it in place. I drilled holes in a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and inserted a piece of nylon rope which I attached to the head at #5 valves with wire. I controled the front of the head and moved it into place while my wife held it above the block with the makeshift hoist. When it was centered, she rotated the pipe slowly and lowered it into place.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
I make studs using old driver side head bolts. A few minutes on a grinding wheel takes the hex head off and leaves a smooth shank. Twist two into the block at opposing corners and lower the head gasket down the shank, then the head. You can drop it perfectly into place yourself that way. Snug up all the other head bolts and then twist out the corner studs for use in your next rebuild.

This is also the way I install 4.0 heads on 4.2 blocks. An old 4.0 head bolt will have 7/16 threads at the top for accessories and 1/2 threads and shank at the bottom. Flip them upside down with the hex head ground off and you have a perfect adaptor that works alot better than the spacers that are sold.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline papacarn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
More good information, I've been a Chevy man most of my life, but I'm learning. Anyway she is back on the road. I took her for a 40 mile test run this afternoon. No obvious leaks, and nice and quite. Also has a little more punch; that compression leak robbed some of her power, besides sounding terrible. I'm going to replace the front u-joint tomorrow, and call it a done deal. Thank you to all who offered advice. Happy Motoring!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk