News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:34:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swapping new half-shaft assembly?  (Read 15705 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
Re: Swapping new half-shaft assembly?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
You might want to check with Advance Auto online.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »
Good answer Canoe. Mine would have been less "Zen".
Maybe it is time to get a real car mechanic involved, if he wants to go on his trip next week.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
Changing the CV half-shaft does not require changing the wheel bearings and seals. I've changed half-shafts more times than I'd care to remember, and I've changed wheel bearings.
It appears the assembly comes off in very easy to manage pieces but the bearings look like a bear to change out! ::)
Some of the people posting here have been fixing Eagles since before you were born. Really. Think about that.
This part bothers me because of something that shouldn't be related. Why is it there are people older than I am that say they know what they're doing and then within 5 minutes of them wrenching around on it they've already stripped a bolt or done something that can't be fixed without a LOT of time and effort? This forum seems to be the only exception to the heck I have to put up with whenever I so much as even LOOK at the hood of my car and I guess you noticed how much this has worn me away. It shows, you noticed, so feel good about yourself.

I found this guide last night and it looks pretty solid to me. I'm going to follow through it to keep anything from going wrong.
Larger towns often have a CV reman place in town where they'll regrease and reboot a half-shaft while you wait and for low dollars. Under $30 here.
Thing is, I'm not in a larger town or I would have gone to such a place. Most shops are demanding over $280 because they charge $40/hr labor and want to replace the axle or something that doesn't really appear necessary to me. Then the manager will turn around and offer to buy the car from me. I'm sick of this crap. I'll do it myself.
Do they really need replacing or is this a show car?
Hah, I wish it were a show car. Then again I believe we all wish we could have our cars look like jewelry. For me that's never going to happen. I accept that. This is a car that I use all the time for very long commutes. My work is seasonal and full of very long hours, giving me next to no time for maintenance. It absolutely must be in top shape since there are also places I tend to go where I can't exactly afford to let it break down. I don't see any worn out metal here but every other grommet appears to be turning into a grainy sand when I touch them. This needs replacing. Now. I'll up a photo soon. :)
If you're willing to take on replacing a half-shaft, why on earth would you go to someone for an alignment, let alone rotation, both of which are orders of magnitude easier?
In short, peace. I would catch too much heck for it and I barely have the patience to do it because of this. Especially since most of the people in my family tend to think a warranty will magically keep something in great shape without any possible problem. Whenever I try something myself my family has to step in and say something to me that never helps anyone. Replacing/salvaging a half-shaft proved bad enough because of this issue. I'm starting to wonder if NAPA has CV boots. If I could get all of this done today it would make me so happy.
TSM Manual
I have a copy. Can't say the quality is something I like but it's better than nothing.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
Maybe I should re-word that:  Why can't I get new half-shafts here in Canada.  I go to a car parts supply store here, and all they offer is reman haft-shafts.
If the part is available, how come I can't get it HERE?
Go compare the population of Canada vs. the States.
I forget the exact numbers, but for a rad I believe it was one choice for ~$400 CAD. In the States, there were several choices. I got a premium 3-core for $263.
Alternators: one reman choice ~$230?, vs. several new choices for less (and as little as $60), including a 98 amp 12SI @3:00 with warranty I got for around $100.

Nope, you're still missing the point:  I didn't say it was more expensive because of population, I said they don't offer it.  there's a difference.  If they make it 'somewhere', it should be available.   ::)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »
My grandfather is scared stupid because of the boot and clamps. I went to NAPA and ordered a new axle for it. Flat $66. With any luck I'll have this back on the road tomorrow afternoon. Portland has a few axles and for some reason Seattle has ONE left and so I'm going to go with that. I know there's a reason I hate sending anything through PDX and I just remembered it today...I bought something last week that went through Portland and as always it's delayed 3 days or more. They can never seem to get their stuff together. No wonder there's no sales tax. >.>'
I didn't say it was more expensive because of population, I said they don't offer it.  there's a difference.  If they make it 'somewhere', it should be available.   ::)
Welp, if a hammer won't fix it...>.>'

This is the reason I'm going with a new axle at this point. It's shiny and I still can't find anyone that offers a boot kit. Even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with the axle, everyone pushes for the new axle. After closer inspection I notice it's not a Dorman boot anyway. It's never been worked on since the day the car was manufactured so EMPI is more than likely going to be the brand that works with this. A simple $9 kit would fix this. Looks solid too. :-\
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »
A new one should get you going for now and you can always deal with rebooting the old one later.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »
Not if they want the old one this fast. I guess it's okay though. Everything else on the car is stock. It weirds me out to see AMC printed on the hub. At least the bearings are okay. Yay Timkin?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »
If they want the old one you must be getting a remanufactured one.  There is no core deposit on new ones, at least any where I have ever been.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
Yeah I thought about waiting on new boots but I've had jackstands under my car for two straight days now. New shaft or not, this ends tomorrow. I'm fine with a remanufactured axle. It's not going to hurt the car any.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
Maybe I should re-word that:  Why can't I get new half-shafts here in Canada.  I go to a car parts supply store here, and all they offer is reman haft-shafts.
I forget the exact numbers, but for a rad I believe it was one choice for ~$400 CAD. In the States, there were several choices. I got a premium 3-core for $263.
Alternators: one reman choice ~$230?, vs. several new choices for less (and as little as $60), including a 98 amp 12SI @3:00 with warranty I got for around $100.
Nope, you're still missing the point:  I didn't say it was more expensive because of population, I said they don't offer it.  there's a difference.  If they make it 'somewhere', it should be available.   ::)
I get your point. My point is: importing and keeping inventory costs. If there aren't enough sales to support it, it doesn't happen. Not enough population = not enough sales.
Ordering from the States, more choices and usually lower cost.
And with the many odd hobbies I have, availability of items I just can't get here.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »

Sorry to here that. Wait did I just purposely hijack a thread for no apparent good reason?

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 02:55:48 AM »
Yeah I thought about waiting on new boots but I've had jackstands under my car for two straight days now. New shaft or not, this ends tomorrow. I'm fine with a remanufactured axle. It's not going to hurt the car any.

I will be waiting for well I forget.

Manitowoc WI

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 02:57:46 AM »
I'm starting to believe I overthought about what I would have to do and this made things far more difficult than it needed to be. :/
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2023, 11:22:32 AM »
Need help, passenger half shaft fell out of the inner housing.

Just now was pulling into my driv!way over a snow berm where the front wheels went up and down quite a bit, then heard a grinding noise, look under the car only to see that the front passenger half shaft completely popped out of the inner housing(the one connected to the differential.)

The car has a 2" lift, so I can imagine that pulls the half shafts a little more out of the end housings.  The half shaft is a brand new shaft that i just replaced, probably less than 500 miles on it.

With a 2" lift, does the shaft length need to be longer as well?  Is there a different ahaft length that needs to he bought?  Or did the old shaft perhaps have a spacer on it to compensate?

If anyone has had similar experience, or has advice/instructions on what to do?  Should I just get another factory spec original replacement shaft? (autozone says it will replace via covered part warranty). Or is there a length chart whoch shows what the shaft should be?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023, 12:01:10 PM »
Apparently half shafts from a Chevy S10 from the same era are a direct bolt on but they are 3/8" longer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk