News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motorcraft 2150 Carb Upgrade  (Read 5371 times)

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Motorcraft 2150 Carb Upgrade
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
On the 4th, I finally got around to opening up the box containing my upgrade kit and starting the process of replacing my old carter carb. Today, I made it to the part of the process where I got the engine started and now I'm working on cleaning up the engine bay and taking care of all outstanding issues with the install.

First impressions:

• At most rpms, the engine runs much quieter than before
  • I get consistent acceleration through 75mph. Before, I'd really have to strain above 55.
  • I still have a stall issue that requires higher than normal idle, but now that is 1500rpm vs 2200rpm*
  • The biggest thing is just how smooth it all sounds and feels.

*There was a brief (20 minute test drive) where the idle was set normally and I didn't have the stall issue. I'm relatively confident that once I deal with the outstanding vacuum hoses and wire in the choke, I should have a normal idle (and even quieter car).

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: Motorcraft 2150 Carb Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »
Have you bypassed the ECM yet?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:59:12 AM »
Have you bypassed the ECM yet?

The ECM had been bypassed for the past two years.

I forgot to mention - I now have an instant startup. As in get in the car, turn the key for barely a second and the engine is up and running. This is a big change from having to crank and pump the gas for about 15-30 seconds before it would fire up.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
Get some pics posted and let me know if you need anything or have any questions.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
Did you fix the stalling issue?  If not, post some good pics.  It is most likley vacuum or timing.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 06:58:24 PM »
I have a 2150 knockoff clone on my 83 wagon.  It runs great, if clean.  Was chasing a constant stall-when-coming-to-a-stop issue after engine was removed to fix a rear oil seal leak.  The emissions twin hoses from the air cleaner housing were left off and dirt got sucked into intake of carb. 

Totally felt like a vac leak issue, and spent much time chasing this problem, only to come to conclusion that vac lines were ok.  Had to screw idle all the way up, just to keep it barely running, unless I kept foot on accelerator, just to keep it going.  Ran fine once main jets activated.  So, I took carb cleaner, and with attached straw, put the tip firmly on the two vertical brass tubes in the carb throat(the ones as thin as a fat pencil lead), and also the two screw threaded tubes between them and venturi throat, and blasted them in an alternating pattern, until I saw a little speck of gunk shoot out.  Immediately after this blow out, engine runs as smooth as a rolls royce!  Rpm immediately was way high at idle, so cranked idle speed screw back down, and like a new engine.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 07:05:41 PM by Artmodels »

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:19:55 PM »
I had the same problem. Bought this rebuild kit.
https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1981-1991-Motorcraft-2150-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit-_p_2534.html
Runs worlds better. Need to fix the rear brake problem, ( broken brake shoe ) then get it inspected so I can actually drive it and test out the rebuilt carburetor. The add states it is designed for todays volatile fuels. I hope they are taking about ethanol.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk