News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car continues to run in off position on key switch  (Read 2620 times)

Offline outofctrlg178

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Car continues to run in off position on key switch
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
I have 1984 AMC Eagle Wagon, inline 6 258, tilt wheel. I am having some trouble trying to diagnose a problem. The problem that I am having is the key switch will not shut the engine off and the dash lights stay lit when  the key is in the off position and key removed.  Sometimes the lights go out but not rarely. The only way I can stop the engine from running is to stick a rag in the carburetor. I have replaced the ignition switch mounted under the dash on the steering column. It did not change the issue that I am having. I moved the ignition switch that I replaced in the different positions with a screw driver to so see if the metal rod was bent. I still can not shut the engine off and the lights still stay lit on the dash. Can any body assist me with other ideas or if you have experienced this same issue as to how you may have remedied the problem?
Thanks Chris

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Car continues to run in off position on key switch
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
try a new starter solenoid, good luck, gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
You probably have a bad diode in the alternator that is allowing power to feed back to the coil.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline outofctrlg178

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Eaglefreek, while your talking about an alternator any suggestions on a new one, to compensate for new halogen lights or would you go with something that is standard equipment replacement? Read some of the threads about replacing the candle bright headlights on here. Was wondering if i should put a larger or higher output alternator on? Thanks Chris

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
It's been quite a while, but I installed a 12SI 130 amp alternator and it was a direct bolt up. I may have had to do something with the wiring pigtail, though. But it was fairly easy. I did install a larger gauge charge wire, too. You have to figure out how it needs to be clocked before you order one. I got mine from an eBay seller, but had to get it rebuilt about a 6 months later because something came loose inside. I would see if you have a local alternator rebuilder in your area and see what they would want for an upgraded 12SI.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline outofctrlg178

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
Fixed, ended up being a solenoid issue. Thanks for everyone advice and help. Now to get better lights on the car.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk