News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raising my Eagle  (Read 42321 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Raising my Eagle
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
The other way to lift the front is to modify your axle support mounts to drop your front differential. I did this by cutting the right side mount and welding in a 2" long piece of 1/2" steel bent to match the mount. On the driver's side I did the same thing with the bracket that mounts by the pinion, only requires a little measurement to keep it at the required angle. And for the upper part of the case, you can use a 2" rectangle steel, I would suggest at least 1/4" for strength, and grade 8 bolts of the proper length. Then to increase your lift to that desired 2.5" +, Just mod up some ball joint spacers, and again, grade 8 bolts should be used to insure strength.  And if you want to keep your steering wheel straight, you can get a variety of drop pitman and idler arms from Chevy or Jeep lift kits to swap out for your stock ones.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
I tried all that, went four inches, modifyed k5 blazer leafs in the rear worked great, but the ball joint blocks in the front made them wear extremely fast, and the bump-steer was horrible. even dropping the front diff 3 inches still was really hard on the halfshafts, eventually the whole front end wore out and I was unhappy enough with it instead of fixing it I swapped in a D30 Disco, and its a far better driver now.

take it from someone who tried it, " dont go over 2-2.5 inches without the solid axle, you will regret it "
2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
If i was to to the 1" spacer and throw bigger tires on, ive already deleted the skirts would 2 inch wheel spacers help prevent rubbing?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
If i was to to the 1" spacer and throw bigger tires on, ive already deleted the skirts would 2 inch wheel spacers help prevent rubbing?

Depends wear the rubbing is happening. I personally would rather have wheels with the proper backset. I've got wheel spacers out back, but don't think I would want them up front.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
Really... See im kinda looking for 2'' spacers all around... Probably not the safest?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »
Really... See im kinda looking for 2'' spacers all around... Probably not the safest?
Depends who you talk to. I have no real world experience with spacers up front and in some states I think it might be illegal.  Many Jeep guys run them with big tires and abuse them without any issues.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Hmmm yeah dont think the legallities of it is a concern. im in kentucky so as long as your car can go 5 miles an hour and has a minimum of 3 usable wheels, Your a-ok!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
Hmmm yeah dont think the legallities of it is a concern. im in kentucky so as long as your car can go 5 miles an hour and has a minimum of 3 usable wheels, Your a-ok!
Same here.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
Its honestly knda crazy the vehicles you see out and about that reeeaaallllyyyy are not safe.. lol

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for rear shocks on a 2 inch lift?  I certainly need them. Everyt ime I hit  a significant pot hole, my rear end feels like it just went off a cliff.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
There are several threads already stickied in the suspension forum. And here is a thread I started awhile back about doing the 1-3 inch lift and what the different options are without doing a SAS.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43082.0
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 09:23:14 AM »
Recently had front axle cv joints replaced due to a ripped boot.  Now I have a new problem where the cv joints inner ball bearing assemblies are popping out when i hit big bumps going over snow berms.

The eagle has been lifted 2 inch lift, and previous owner put spacers from front diff to axle to have diff be an inch lower.  The replacement cv axles when the car is sitting on pavement seem to have the triple bearing right out near outer edge of the inner carrier hub, with like possibly about two inches of further available travel in towards the vehicle center.

Did autozone give me new cv joints that were too short by mistake, or do the cv joints for a lifted eagle need to be a longer length?  If so, does anyone know the correct longer part number?
Thanks!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 07:50:54 PM »
What you probably have is the common issue with aftermarket replacement axles.  The depth of the inner joint is about 1 inch or so too short.  The depth of the factory inner joint is about 4 inches; the depth of most aftermarket inners is about 3 inches.   Even without the lift; that'll pop apart on corners.

If your old axles were the original style; get 'em back and just replace the boots.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:53:25 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
Don't have access to them, is there anywhere I can buy oem replacement style ones?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 11:25:31 AM »
Many of the auto parts stores carry reman axles, you may be able to get some of those and measure to make sure they are correct.

New axles are available on eBay, I don't know if they can supply the specs before you buy them.

Also check with some of the AMC specific vendors.  They may be more customer service oriented and may be able to help you out.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk