News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:44:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raising my Eagle  (Read 42342 times)

AlexH92

Raising my Eagle
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
Im going to raise my eagle but im not sure how to raise the front. Im going to get blocks for the back, but will that work for the front?

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
Re: Raising my Eagle
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
The front of an eagle is difficult to raise because of the independent front suspension. you can only lift the front of an eagle 2.5 inches before you have a dangerous angle on your half shafts. to get that 2.5 inch lift, I've heard most people use a 1 inch coil spring spacer to get 2 inches out of the front.

someone else will chime in for other ways to lift the front.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Yeah, that's what I have heard also.  Unless you can fab new mounts, and change the bolt on positions to all the arms, and then get custom bigger/longer coils for the front, spacers are the easiest way to do it.  It sounds mickey mouse, but it works well.

the back is alot easier.  just get a more arch on the back leafs, or helper spring thingys, or even to weld a very secure leaf spring box in the back,  there are different changes for that.  but you still have to be careful not to raise it over that 2-2.5 inch mark.  Any higher, and you're talking about redoing the whole suspension/drive system for like what the guys who take their eagles mudding/rock-crawling.

AlexH92

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
Thanks guys, do you know where i can get 2" coil spacers for a good price? Also, how do you use the compresor under the hood to air up the back air shocks? sorry i dont know the technical term, I orders a chiltons manual but wont be getting it for a while because the company has to print the book before it ships out.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
The Chilton's may or may not help. But they do make good door stops.  Consider purchasing a factory AMC TSM or MR.  We sell a '82/83 TSM in the Eagle Nest store and you can sometimes find them or the later MR's at a certain auction site.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
The Chilton's may or may not help. But they do make good door stops.  Consider purchasing a factory AMC TSM or MR.  We sell a '82/83 TSM in the Eagle Nest store and you can sometimes find them or the later MR's at a certain auction site.
I use mine as coaster ...... you can put a whole 6 pack on that sucker
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline landphil

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
The air pump under the hood is part of a load leveling sytem. If it is  complete and working it should level the back on it's own.  if not working you may have to pipe new hoses to the back and pump it manually , there is a switch to turn it on to pump manually

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
Yes, there is an axle height sensor that is part of the system.  You may want to check to see if the switch is turned to "auto".
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline redneckjames

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:52 AM »
ive thought about the spacers to but i wanna clear 31s.. whats the shaft you talked about having a bad angle? the driveshaft to the front? or the cv axles? i also heard you can replace this shaft with one from an older s10.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:09 AM »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the front CV joints won't handle anything past 2-2.5 inches.  I think the back will handle a bit more, but if you're looking at raising the car alot more, you'll probably want to check out posts on what people have done to jack their eagles up quite a bit to clear big tires.

From what I understand, if you're gonna raise up the car like 4, 6 inches or more, you're probably looking at converting the front to a straight axle to start with.  check out Altered eagles on this site, for conversions.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?board=43.0 

or try more posts under 'The Shop': Drivetrain, or suspension.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
The problem with CV's is the working angle of the shafts is super limited.  They are strong as can be, I would trust them running tires up to 33's and possibly 35's, the problem is just keeping them in the correct range of motion.  If someone were to build a taller steering knuckle, leave the upper control arms in the stock location, and drop the lower control arms and front differential, you would have the ability to lift and maintain the correct angles.  I just don't see anyone who would be willing to put that kind of money into designing and casting the steering knuckles.  That's why I go straight to the SAS.
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline boreddead88

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
OK, I may be new to eagles, but I'm an old hand at lifting, and here is the point were you have to ask your self what am I gonna use it for? If you go Wheeling every weekend, or keep it as a hobby car it might be worth it, but if it spends the majority of its time on pavement you'll likely wind up with some lift regret. I see the cheapest way to be the spacers in the front and shackles or blocks in the rear. However given that the CV shafts have a fairly extreme angle in the stock position I'm imagining your gonna go through CV joints like crazy. if you want to keep the independent front end. You could do one of 2 things.

You could leave the diff housing were it is, pull both control arms, and fabricate a pre-runner style suspension. if your not familiar this involves lengthening the control arms, and using a longer spring. basically the idea is that you wind up with a less extreme angel on the CV shaft. Obviously if your not a master fabricator its probably way out of the question seeing that it involves building completely new control arms and getting the CV shafts lengthened along with a long list of steering mods.

The easier method is to fab a drop for the front diff housing. You would then have to take the entire front suspension and at all the mounting points make some sort of spacers or brackets to drop the whole suspension equally you could then use longer springs to raise it up, and get the CV shafts to a point were they would be at a reasonable angle. Then the rear is pretty straight forward, you could get new spring packs or use add-a-leafs or blocks or shackles things to watch in the rear are drive shaft angle and length it I'm not sure how much travel is in the slider, but if your bottoming out you could destroy your rear or your t-case, ask me how I know that.

The logical way, and probably the way I'd do it is get a d30 from a Cherokee, and do a solid Axel swap, alot of fabrication, and alot of builder parts from Rusty's, but your lift is only limited by your drive shaft angels, and your imagination. plus then you can eliminate that air actuator on the front Axel. Ive seen threads on this swap, they all involve a massive amount of fabrication, and I wouldn't recommend welding to the uni-body (just a general bit of advice)

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
Hi,

I lifted my 1983 Eagle at the rear with much longer shackles and at the front with aluminium rings that fit on the top of the coil springs. You really need a good springcompressor as the coils are pretty strong!
I have 1" rings in the front which will cause a 2.5" lift. My Eagle was not sagging but the 215/75/15 BFGoodrich AT's rubbed the wheelarches when sharp cornering

I am very, very happy with the result!  :occasion14: You can buy a set on the big Bay for a resonable price.

Anjo
Holland

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
@ boreddead88

pretty much YES to what you said.

The only thing to lifting the eagle 2", is to be able to get a slightly bigger tire on it, without having it rub on those fender skirts.

Now from what I understand, there shouldn't be (hardly any) loss in handling if you do it right.

Then you can go with 235's truck tires, and that will give you a bit more clearance in the snow, or for minor off-road.

For street driving, IIRC it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 01:23:06 AM »
Hi,

I lifted my 1983 Eagle at the rear with much longer shackles and at the front with aluminium rings that fit on the top of the coil springs. You really need a good springcompressor as the coils are pretty strong!
I have 1" rings in the front which will cause a 2.5" lift. My Eagle was not sagging but the 215/75/15 BFGoodrich AT's rubbed the wheelarches when sharp cornering

I am very, very happy with the result!  :occasion14: You can buy a set on the big Bay for a resonable price.

BTW the front tires don't rub anymore and the handling is unaffected. Fitting those rings on the front is an easy job, just do it carefully!

Anjo
Holland

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
The other way to lift the front is to modify your axle support mounts to drop your front differential. I did this by cutting the right side mount and welding in a 2" long piece of 1/2" steel bent to match the mount. On the driver's side I did the same thing with the bracket that mounts by the pinion, only requires a little measurement to keep it at the required angle. And for the upper part of the case, you can use a 2" rectangle steel, I would suggest at least 1/4" for strength, and grade 8 bolts of the proper length. Then to increase your lift to that desired 2.5" +, Just mod up some ball joint spacers, and again, grade 8 bolts should be used to insure strength.  And if you want to keep your steering wheel straight, you can get a variety of drop pitman and idler arms from Chevy or Jeep lift kits to swap out for your stock ones.

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
I tried all that, went four inches, modifyed k5 blazer leafs in the rear worked great, but the ball joint blocks in the front made them wear extremely fast, and the bump-steer was horrible. even dropping the front diff 3 inches still was really hard on the halfshafts, eventually the whole front end wore out and I was unhappy enough with it instead of fixing it I swapped in a D30 Disco, and its a far better driver now.

take it from someone who tried it, " dont go over 2-2.5 inches without the solid axle, you will regret it "
2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
If i was to to the 1" spacer and throw bigger tires on, ive already deleted the skirts would 2 inch wheel spacers help prevent rubbing?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
If i was to to the 1" spacer and throw bigger tires on, ive already deleted the skirts would 2 inch wheel spacers help prevent rubbing?

Depends wear the rubbing is happening. I personally would rather have wheels with the proper backset. I've got wheel spacers out back, but don't think I would want them up front.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
Really... See im kinda looking for 2'' spacers all around... Probably not the safest?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »
Really... See im kinda looking for 2'' spacers all around... Probably not the safest?
Depends who you talk to. I have no real world experience with spacers up front and in some states I think it might be illegal.  Many Jeep guys run them with big tires and abuse them without any issues.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Hmmm yeah dont think the legallities of it is a concern. im in kentucky so as long as your car can go 5 miles an hour and has a minimum of 3 usable wheels, Your a-ok!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
Hmmm yeah dont think the legallities of it is a concern. im in kentucky so as long as your car can go 5 miles an hour and has a minimum of 3 usable wheels, Your a-ok!
Same here.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
Its honestly knda crazy the vehicles you see out and about that reeeaaallllyyyy are not safe.. lol

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for rear shocks on a 2 inch lift?  I certainly need them. Everyt ime I hit  a significant pot hole, my rear end feels like it just went off a cliff.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
There are several threads already stickied in the suspension forum. And here is a thread I started awhile back about doing the 1-3 inch lift and what the different options are without doing a SAS.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43082.0
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 09:23:14 AM »
Recently had front axle cv joints replaced due to a ripped boot.  Now I have a new problem where the cv joints inner ball bearing assemblies are popping out when i hit big bumps going over snow berms.

The eagle has been lifted 2 inch lift, and previous owner put spacers from front diff to axle to have diff be an inch lower.  The replacement cv axles when the car is sitting on pavement seem to have the triple bearing right out near outer edge of the inner carrier hub, with like possibly about two inches of further available travel in towards the vehicle center.

Did autozone give me new cv joints that were too short by mistake, or do the cv joints for a lifted eagle need to be a longer length?  If so, does anyone know the correct longer part number?
Thanks!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 07:50:54 PM »
What you probably have is the common issue with aftermarket replacement axles.  The depth of the inner joint is about 1 inch or so too short.  The depth of the factory inner joint is about 4 inches; the depth of most aftermarket inners is about 3 inches.   Even without the lift; that'll pop apart on corners.

If your old axles were the original style; get 'em back and just replace the boots.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:53:25 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
Don't have access to them, is there anywhere I can buy oem replacement style ones?

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 11:25:31 AM »
Many of the auto parts stores carry reman axles, you may be able to get some of those and measure to make sure they are correct.

New axles are available on eBay, I don't know if they can supply the specs before you buy them.

Also check with some of the AMC specific vendors.  They may be more customer service oriented and may be able to help you out.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »
Thank you so much for your help!  Turns out autozone only has one cv axle listed for sale that "fits" according to their computer, but the inner bearing housing is only 3 inches travel.

Called a 4x4 cv axle specialist fabricator in n carolina, who were kind enough to look up their build specs amd stated that inner bearing outer element needed to have a 4 inch travel housing. 

He gave me a correct part number from carquest:
 Ncv82001 made by GSG.
Carquest/Advance website shows a picture, and sure enough, the inner housing is definitely an inch deeper than the ones on the eagle that popped out.  Ordered the hopefully correct ones, and will verify when they arrive.  I will post picturea of both side by side, as well as get the bad part number from autozone and post when they arrive.  That way you guys won't have to go through this problem in the future as well.
Thanks!

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2023, 09:57:59 PM »
Bit of a zombie thread, but Im gonna do it since its open and pinned
So bit of condensed background, Ive got an 83 eagle wagon with a 80 non-disco front axle center section, v8 javelin coil springs, a 93 XJ 4.0, with a 99 XJ AW4, NP242, and Dana 35 rear. Ive raised the front 2" with 1" spring spacers and the rear with blocks.
Anyways Ive never had a problem with the CV joints popping out, in fact my problem is kinda the opposite, they bind up. At the level things are at going down the road, its fine, but if I hit a sizable pothole or go over a railroad crossing, and the front suspension unloads much at all, I can feel the steering wheel shudder badly from the CV axles either bottoming out in their cups, or maxing out their angle, I cant be sure, at 3x wheel speed of course. I am using aftermarket CV axles, and having compared them to OEM ones, they are shorter, but I tried putting an OEM one in, and the problem was actually far worse. With the car jacked up and suspension completely unloaded, I couldnt turn the front wheels at all, even with a breaker bar.
So, since Im taking the front center section out to re-gear it anyway, I thought Id give a shot at lowering it a bit to make the CVs happier. What do you think would be a good amount, 1"? 2"?

Also, does anyone know what part is supposed to limit the downward travel of the front wheels? right now I think its my swaybar hitting the frame horn (pictured). Is it possible that somewhere in my various parts replacing, my front suspension is traveling downward further than it should be?

Or maybe the v8 javelin springs with the 1" spacer is just too much for practical use, and I should just go down to the 1/2" spacer, I dunno, I like how it looks at this height. Could someone else with a 2" lifted eagle that works alright measure the height from the ground to front bumper or something? I never really had a good baseline to go off of for my lift, as the original spring was worn out and snapped.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 09:58:35 PM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
Well, I went ahead and rebuilt/regeared the front diff, and dropped the mounts 1.5", here are some pics for future reference:
left side, I turned down some 1" round stock to use as spacers, and cut and added some plate to the hanger

same thing with the right hanger, sliced in half with a bandsaw and welded in some plates inbetween

The CV angles at ride height are sooo much better now, this solved all my problems
83 eagle wagon 4.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk