News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission Mount Rattle  (Read 1842 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Transmission Mount Rattle
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
I'm making an assumption here that at one point the exhaust support bracket hanging off my transmission was dismantled and not completely reassembled because even before I had my exhaust rebuilt the bracket rattles so loudly it echos off nearby buildings.

It's those two pins that go through the bracket plate. The are not threaded so they don't bolt together and there's no holes for something like a spring, washer and a cotter pin. Is it seriously supposed to just sit loose in the bracket or am I missing something to eliminate the rattle?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Transmission Mount Rattle
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
Nope; that's not original.  Probably an exhaust shop somewhere hacked it up.   I think I'd just fill in the holes with a MiG welder - wouldn't rattle any more.

To me; doesn't look like an original bracket either.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Thack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
My 83 has the same mount, pretty sure it’s original although mine does not make any noise.....yet.

Tom H

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
Mine has nuts and bolts there now you a see where the stud was cut out with a torch and bolts installed
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
Thread follow-up.
I missed the bulletin in the Eaglepedia stating that rattle from the bracket is normal. The bulletin says to remove the pins and replace them with bolts.

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/September_1982_TB_1-11-82:_Catalytic_Converter_Support_Bracket

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 06:10:43 PM »
Good to know; I missed that bulletin!  The mount on my '81 Sundancer had bolts; so I guess it got the bulletin repair somewhere along the way.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7