News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AC not cold enough  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
AC not cold enough
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
Before I take my 1984 Eagle out of hibernation I'd like to dial in the AC 100%. The previous owner had an R134A conversion done and it works well if it's not too hot out and you're driving it awhile. Any way to improve the performance of my system? It has a full charge but if it's over 85* out or you're not driving for 45 minutes forget it. Probably unrelated and normal but the car likes to run HOT with the ac on especially at lower speeds.

Also, I'm getting some wierd noise from my blower motor. It seems to vibrate and make alot of racket on any setting but the lowest setting. I'm thinking that the squirrel cage is loose or out of balance. Where is it and how do I remove it for inspection?

Last but not least I believe I'm having an issue with the heater control valve. Usually on the first run of the day the coolant temp will spike all the way up as soon as the car is warm. If I flick the lever on the dash back and forth bewteen heat and AC a few times the temp dives back down quickly. Should I replace the heater valve or is there something else broken?

Thanks!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: AC not cold enough
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
You might want to check the pressure in the A/C system.  You can buy a gage and some 134 refrigerant pretty cheap.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Will do that and report back. I guess I finally have something I can't use my R22 manifold on.

nvsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
Last but not least I believe I'm having an issue with the heater control valve. Usually on the first run of the day the coolant temp will spike all the way up as soon as the car is warm. If I flick the lever on the dash back and forth bewteen heat and AC a few times the temp dives back down quickly. Should I replace the heater valve or is there something else broken

That sounds more like a thermostat issue to me.  Heater control valve only has to do with whether coolant is routed through the heater core.

My 84 spikes up above middle of gauge then goes back down once the thermostat opens.  I think what you are doing with the heater control levers is just coincidental to the thermostat opening.   What happens if you don't flick the lever?  will the temp go down on its own?  If so its just the thermostat doing its thing.

Just my humble opinion,  I am not as much of a gearhead as many on this forum. 

Steve

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
Thanks guys! Honestly I have never not touched the heater lever, the engine is new and I'm not wanting to blow it up. I will leave it alone and watch what it does. Usually when it gets to that point the needle is at the top of the gauge.

How do I check the heater valve to make sure it has shut when the AC is on?

The car has an intact fan shroud, surprisingly ;D

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
Check the hoses behind the valve to see if they are hot. They should be much cooler than the hoses in front of the valve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk