News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing/Repairing AC  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Removing/Repairing AC
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:46 AM »
I bought the Eagle I have now as the beginning of my retirement process.  Plan to retire in about 1 to 1.5 years and wanted to get the Eagle all repaired and reliable during this time for my move back to Montana.

I currently have factory AC but mechanic says it needs a new "switch", condenser, evap sensor and "switched over to R134"?.

My questions:

1. if I want to remove the AC will it affect any other thing on the car?

2. If I remove the compressor is there a pulley, wheel or something to go in that location to take the place of the condenser for the serpentine belt?

3. Any "ballpark" figures to get it up and running instead of removing?

Thank you.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Removing/Repairing AC
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
I'm no A/C expert but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.

The low tech way to "remove" the A/C is to unplug the electrical feed to the compressor, it won't create much of a drag on the engine without the A/C clutch engaged and it saves a lot of hassle with trying to "fill in the hole" for the belt left if you remove the compressor.  You would just have to hope that the clutch never seizes at some time.

Did your current mechanic give you an estimate on repairing the A/C?  That doesn't sound like a long list of things to fix although it could add up quickly!  Best bet would be to take it to a shop that specializes in A/C repair.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk