News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '83 Eagle engine bay harness documented as a single complete schematic?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Hi All --

Has anyone ever broken down and documented the Eagle engine bay harness as a complete unit (which wires are which, colors, etc?). 

I personally really struggle with the specific system approach to electrical schematics that splits that harness into half a dozen different diagrams but doesn't show anything in context of where the connection points are physically located. 

I am thinking along the lines of the excellent work that Murdoc1905 did for the engine vacuum system in the following post...

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=46647.0

Does anyone know if anything similar has ever been done for the Eagle engine bay harness?

Or alternatively, I looked at the 1988 electrical schematics in the Epedia and there was a comment at the top of one page that said "1982/1983 service manuals were for sale through the Eagle Den on flash drive".  I have no problem buying the manual, but would hope someone could answer whether the entire engine bay harness schematic was provided in those service manual before I bought them...

Thanks for any insight!

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Have you checked out this thread:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=14417.0

It has links to some of the electrical schematics.  It may not be what you are looking for in terms of what Murdoc1905 did, but at least it shows you what was in the technical service manuals.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Thank you for that, it seems to be more-complete that the Chilton manual's sparse electrical data.

I am "analoging" my '83 with a 2-barrel Weber and GM-style, 1-wire distributor with the Clifford aluminum intake and Eagle header so the engine will literally need half a dozen wires or so to allow it to run.  This approach seems to run counter to several other members that are currently working to get the factory ignition and emissions systems back to working order, but VA does not seem as concerned as other states as to the functionality of those systems in a vehicle this old, coupled with the fact that a lot of the people performing those inspections wouldn't even know what came on the vehicle as standard emissions equipment from the factory anyway. 

The source of my initial question is that I plan to reduce the underhood wiring to clean up the firewall of my car and not have a bunch of unused plugs hanging all over the place. 

I do have an '84 parts car with a complete engine bay harness that should be very similar to the '83 harness, so I am not too concerned about gutting this one as I'll have a "spare" harness to refer back to or reinstall as necessary.

Thanks again!
David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
You're welcome.

Nice looking engine bay there! 

I recently had to take my 1980 two door sedan in for its once-every-five-years emissions test, and in addition to the tailpipe sniffer, they also do a visual inspection under the hood.  I believe they have some diagrams on what to be looking for during the visual inspection.  For this reason, I've left this car pretty much stock, but it's still much less cluttered than Eagles from the later years. 

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk