News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 10:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heater help  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Heater help
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
My heater is doing it's job great...even when the switch is turned to cold it still blows hot air.

I will assume that there are some vacuum lines missing due to the 4.0 drivetrain swap that I need to install, as well as that little round valve thingy (water valve?) in the engine bay (mine is seized, had to use a wrench to open it). As of right now the thing is open all the time.

Should I find the vacuum lines and install them, then find a source for that valve (or similar from any other vehicle, doesn't matter to me), or do I have another issue?

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/File:Accontrolpanel.jpg

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Heater help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »
If your heater valve is in the open position for any reason (stuck open or no vacuum applied), you will get heat all the time.  I believe the default position is open/heat, and vacuum is applied for A/C (assuming the valve is working freely). 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
In that diagram you posted, that blend air cable goes to the heater box and controls a flap that blocks off the heater core compartment when switched to cold.  There is a lot of foam in that area that has probably disintegrated, or the cable didn't get adjusted right, and the flap isn't closing completely.

But I don't know how the A/C part works
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:16:56 PM by Draekon »

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
 The vacuum operates the heater valve. If it is froze like you said then you will be running hot coolant through your heater core all the time. Even so if all your control  cables are still connected and your air flow doors are operating it should not be a big deal, but as said by Draekon, if the foam seals are gone or the doors are not moving ,then you will get hot air mixing with the cold and in the summer the heat wins out.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
The valve is seized, I know that for a fact. I had to wrench the thing open for heat last winter. As for the door, I'll take a look-see and check what it's doing. If it's staying open that could be the problem.

Any place to source those valves? Or similar?

Edit : Eagle one is ridiculously expensive, but the Jeep version (which appears to be the same, just a bit different shaped) looks workable :

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=815449&cc=1180178&jnid=493&jpid=1
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:10:57 PM by Nightpath »

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
 All the hose connections are 5/8 . The heater core has a 3/4 and a 5/8 . You will need to get some adaptors to hook it up but I think it would work. All though  that would be a lot of hose clamps .
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
I just work the 5/8" hose onto the 3/4" fitting. Old hose will do it fairly easy but is more inclined to split.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »

Edit : Eagle one is ridiculously expensive, but the Jeep version (which appears to be the same, just a bit different shaped) looks workable :

I'm not sure which Eagle heater valve you were looking at that was so expensive but when I look it up on RockAuto the cost is $7-11.  Its a different style than the original as it doesn't have a bypass feature but that's the one I installed in mine and it works fine. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
Are you certain the air mixer flap door cable actually moves the the flap above the passenger feet.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

I'm not sure which Eagle heater valve you were looking at that was so expensive but when I look it up on RockAuto the cost is $7-11.  Its a different style than the original as it doesn't have a bypass feature but that's the one I installed in mine and it works fine.
The valves I saw were $80-120. What model /year did you find the others under.
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
Universal ones are cheaper.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
I looked under 1980.  Its Four Seasons Part # 74612
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
I wasn't turning the switch down to Cold/AC...I was just moving the top slider lmfao. It blows cold(ish)...still though, might buy one of those things when I make an order.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk