News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ignition Module differences  (Read 2816 times)

Offline djohnston89

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Ignition Module differences
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »
I fried my newly acquired 87 Eagle's original ICM trying to start it for the first time in years and years (more details on my thread in the project cars section). When I went to replace the module, I found that the connectors  on the replacement ICM didn't match what was in my car so I asked for the unit out of an 88 Wrangler with the 258 which ended up having the correct connectors. I later found that parts suppliers who have the 88 Eagle in their computer, also specify the kind of module that I have (the 88, however, was not in Advance Auto's computer for some reason).  Both modules have the same color wires, and blue strain relief, the only difference aesthetically is the type of connector.

The other difference in the two modules, is the price. For some reason the type with the new connectors like mine run around $70-80, whereas I've seen the type with the older ones listed as a cheap $20. So my question is: If I need to replace my ICM again, can I just lop the connectors off the one I have currently and splice them on to one of the older style ICM's?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Ignition Module differences
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
You can find the older connector on a Ford, Jeep or Eagle and splice it to your harness to run the older box. Many guys on the Full Size Jeep list have done this. Just make sure you have a good ground from the box to the distributor because one of the "upgrades" the new harness has is a thicker ground wire so if the engine to battery negative cable is loose, the wiring to the dist doesn't go up in smoke and eat boxes.

The other option is a Jeep converted GM HEI distributor (like the Skip White unit I got) and do away with the fender mounted box and the coil with crappy horseshoe connectors that corrode and cause stalling/misfires and have 1/2 the spark. It allows you to run upgraded plugwires too. Then it's a 1 wire to run, should something go wrong in the middle of nowhere.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
After my 20+ year old ICM went out, I replaced it with one from an auto parts chain. It only lasted 6 months. I installed a MSD Streetfire CDI and haven't had an issue in the 4 years it's been on.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
Yes the ones with the weather pak connectors do cost more.  Why I don't know.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
I replaced the Motorcrap dist with an HEI in '97 and haven't touched it since in my '84 J10 other than to swap it from the 4.2L to the 4.0L I put in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk