News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 23, 2024, 02:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A/C Belt Idler Bearing Fix  (Read 2473 times)

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
A/C Belt Idler Bearing Fix
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
I'm talking about the lower "flat" idler pulley down by the alternator, the one with the impossible-to-find bearing.   I have 3 cars needing this repair, so I thought I'd try to figure out something - and I did!!

The original bearing is 40mm OD x 10mm ID x 12mm thick.   These bearings are unobtainable.   However, I did find  a readily-available bearing sized 40mm OD x 17mm ID x 12mm thick (China-made; but seem OK).   So I just needed to do something with the ID.   I found an easy-to-find "Idler Pulley Reducer Bushing" at various mower supply places that goes from 17mm down to 12mm, and is 12mm thick .   Getting closer.   I then found another reducer that goes from 12mm down to 10mm, and is also 12mm thick (found these cheap on Ebay).   So, I pressed all this stuff together, and pressed it into the old pulley, and I now have a usable lower idler pulley!!

If anyone needs one of these bearing setups, I bought extras (10 bearings, and bushing sets).   It was cheaper to buy mass quantities than to just buy the 3 I needed.   Figure about $8 each plus postage if anyone wants one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:35:57 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: A/C Belt Idler Bearing Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing this solution.  Thumbs up to you!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: A/C Belt Idler Bearing Fix
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »
Are you sure there isn't a pressed sleeve in the center hole? I found one on my '87 Comanche when I did my waterpump today. Rockauto shows a Gates 38038 replacement vee belt idler  pulley with 17 mm hole for '82 with 4.2L for $13 plus shipping.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:12:10 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk