News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 02:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How could I hook up the A/C from scratch after my wires and vacuum was trashed?  (Read 11845 times)

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
 I guess my question is if a run a wire from this connector that gives power to the compressor where would I run it too?

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Sorry, it must ground through the housing. The paired wires have a diode in them. That keeps the magnetic clutch from frying the car's electronics when it disengages. It's a big magnetic coil just like the ignition coil and can create a big feedback spice when the field collapses.

Anyway, power to that wire engages the clutch.

Here's the diagram

Over on the driver's side, down low by the subframe is a small A/C hose with a sight glass on it. On or near there is a switch that turns off the clutch if the high side pressure is too low. This is necessary because the oil is in the coolant, and with low pressure your compressor will burn out quickly.

Run a wire from the magnetic clutch to one side of this switch.

Run another wire from the other side into the cabin near the glove box.

When you remove the glove box you should see the A/C thermostat box on the left side. It has a bulb that goes into the heater box on a thin tube, like a mechanical temperature gauge. The thermostat is controlled by a cable and cycles the clutch to adjust the temperature of the evaporator. It helps to keep the evaporator core from freezing up.

If the heater wiring is not messed up you should be able to find the gray/black wire in the harness in the engine compartment, otherwise you'll have to wire straight to the A/C thermostat.

Sorry I think I understand know and you answered my question a year ago  :occasion14:

So all I need to do is run a wire from the compressor wire to one side of that switch to the sight glass?
Looks like that's also what is said here in this thread.  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43466.0

Run a wire from this connector

To one side, any side of this wire on the switch

Is that right?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:44:51 PM by madmax4x4 »

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
 Not either wire ,but the wire that goes to that plug in your hand . One of those wires on the pressure switch will be power from your dash switch when in A/C position .  Unplug the pressure switch ,turn on the A/C and with a test light or VOM check for power at those two wires. If you have voltage at one of the two ,which you should, then wire your compressor plug to the other wire. (the wire with no power )  But I would first open that wire harness that runs down your shock tower and see if the mech did not just push the wire you need into the bundle and wrap a whole roll of electrical tape around it . ( The way it looks in your pics)  Because I see no need to cut off a wire that's only about 6" long . I think (as a mech) he just put it in that plastic harness wrap.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
There should have been a smaller harness coming out of that big harness on your shock tower going to the alternator . That is where the grey wire with black tracer should be.
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Thanks I'm going to open up the harness and look for it in the morning.

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Got it working thanks everyone for the help  :hello2: :hello2: :occasion14:

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
  I knew you could do it !!   :hello2:    Did you use R12 or 134?
tach and gauge package
A/C
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
One can of r134a to fill it to the green on the gauge. Not sure if it leaks yet. It blows cold but I'm not sur if it's blowing cold as it should. I'm going to order a new dryer and maybe have to old oil pulled out and new oil put in. At least I got the thing to come on  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk