News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did I screw something up?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Did I screw something up?
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
After the Deep Freeze of 2014, I thought I had solved all of my heat/coolant issues. Except, it seems like after driving my car is smoking...err...steaming more than it used to (the smoke comes from the valve cover) My car is running at optimum temperature, but it seems like my radiator might have sprung a little leak? I saw some coolant sitting at the bottom of my radiator. However, I'm wondering if that could still be from the coolant that was leaking for a day when I didn't put the radiator hose back on right. And, maybe its from that coolant leaking that was spashing around, and I am being a hypochondriac. Any ideas? I did replace the thermostat. And, I (pretty sure) did it correctly.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Did I screw something up?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
Is it steam or burning oil smoke?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
Most importantly, is the rad fluid level going down?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
It was steam. And, it did seem like it went down a little. However, I drove it a lot yesterday, and did not see it leaking at all. I might have been freaking out over seeing coolant on the bottom of the radiator when it might have been leftover from when I had coolant leaking from the top radiator hose after not reinstalling correctly. I will monitor and update.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk