News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle won't start  (Read 4038 times)

Offline landphil

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
Eagle won't start
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
I saw a topic similar to this and can't find it now.  This eagle has sat for several months in storage, I would start it once or twice a month.  Now it will not start.  It cranks with no spark until you let go of the key then 1 spark, and some times a back fire.  I have had a couple friends, that know alot more about cars than me, try to get it started.  No luck.  I always take a fully charged battery with me ,  we swapped the coil from a different eagle, no help.  any ideas?  Thanks Phill

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Eagle won't start
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Have you tried swapping the ignition module?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:15:59 AM by shaggimo »
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
Sounds like the starter solenoid myght be at fault.  Could even be as simple as a bad batt cable or 2.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Sounds like 12vdc pickup on the solenoid isn't working or the module went bad. You can put a jumper wire from the bat to the "I" terminal (NOTE: Key MUST be on before hooking up and it will NOT shut off until the wire is pulled!) and crank it. If it starts, solenoid contact wore off. If not, then module or pickup coil in dist is bad.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
Try this...get a test light and touch the sharp point to the primary wire on the "-" side of the coil while it's connected. Clip the wire on your test light to a good ground. Have someone crank it over. The test light should go on and off. If it stays on continuously you have a problem with the ignition module or the pickup inside the distributor. If it doesn't come on at all you have lost the 12v feed from the ignition switch or the starter solenoid, or the coil has failed.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
In order to have spark you need the engine to crank, a good coil, good ignition module and something to trigger the ignition module which commands the coil to fire.

Had the exact same issue on a Wagoneer w/duraspark ignition, turned out to be a bad pickup module inside the distributor.

Hope this helps.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk